Plotting and planning

Start from the beginning

The three of us looked up as some jock-looking guy stormed over, and Kevin got up. "Are you cheating on me with a girl?" The guy screeched. Did you ever hear two gay men fight? It's entertaining at how animated they act.

"No, Kyle! She paid me to pretend we were dating!" Kevin exclaimed, throwing poor Mel under the bus.

"I don't even have words," Kyle said as he stormed off with Kevin running after him, leaving poor Mel sitting there alone with us. Check and mate, Mel.

"Well, I'll leave, because, you know, I'm late for an appointment. Oh, would you look at the time?" Mel lied as she backed up, stumbling over chairs and tables, then left.

I looked at Nik. "How did you know Kevin was gay?" I asked curiously.

"Easy because Leo described Kevin to me. When I came for a visit that summer Leo pointed Kevin out to me. Kevin was the guy Kyle cheated with when he was with Leo," Nik answered.

"I remember hearing about that, and Leo planted one on Matt," RJ chuckled.

"Yeah, but Leo said my lips are softer than Matt's lips, and he needs to use chapstick," Nik grinned, making us chuckle.

"Damn, dude, I think you embarrassed Mel," RJ mentioned to me.

"Mel should know better than to mess with half of the double troubles, especially the half that comes up with the ideas. That was her fault for trying to do some crazy shit like making me jealous," I said, finishing my food.

"Well, did she?" RJ asked.

"What? No! I'm getting more food," I said, getting up from my seat.

RJ looked at Nik. "Oh, Liam was jealous all right," RJ told Nik.

"Why won't Liam admit that he likes Mel?" Nik asked.

"Because for Liam to let his guard down and admit something like that opens up a whole Pandora's box. Remember that chick he liked freshman year who laughed in his face?" RJ asked Nik.

"Wasn't her name Cassie?" Nik asked.

"Yep, after Cassie's rejection, Liam swore he would never open up to a girl like that again. I've never seen him so hurt," RJ said.

"Please tell me that you aren't talking about that dipshit, Cassie?" I asked them as I sat down and started eating again.

"You know Liam just because one girl rejects you don't mean you have to close yourself off to another completely," Nik reasoned.

"Oh, yeah, sure, you know because it's always fun to tell a girl you like only to have her laugh at you. Then she, along with her little friends, tell you that you would be the last person on earth she would date. How did she put it? Because I was a useless, scrawny, dickless, piece of shit whose only goal in life would be to have a permanent residence in prison. But sure, let me open myself up to that bullshit," I retorted as I kept eating. Yeah, I'll admit it, words cut like a knife and can leave a person jaded. Okay, with me, it left me bored. That's why I refuse to waste any more time with any girl at school.

After we finished, we went back to the house. I went upstairs, straight to my room, and slammed the door. Hearing Cassie's fucking name brought up memories that I wanted to forget. I laid on my bed, staring at the ceiling. Unlike Nik and Shawn, I'm not into destroying things.

As I laid there, I heard a knock at my door, then it opened. JJ and Shawn walked into the bedroom. Those two are the few whom I would allow to see me like this. JJ is my twin, and Shawn is my brother, knowing how it feels to like a girl and her like someone else. I sat up, and they took a seat on each side of me.

"You know Liam, that is one girl. It's not to tell the girl you end up falling for acts the same way," Shawn reasoned.

"Come on, Shawn, you witnessed firsthand what that troll did," I refuted Shawn.

"Yeah, but trust me, she was no catch herself," Shawn told me.

"I know that now, but as a freshman in high school, a stupid crush blinded me," I said, shaking my head.

"Look, Liam, they knew us as the double troubles for a reason, but the right girl sees past that and sees you for the guy you truly are. Look at Lydia; she was pretty iffy about me until I showed her there was more than the antics we pulled," JJ reasoned.

I looked at JJ. "I'm still wondering what you gave Lydia to get her to agree to date you," I commented.

This comment made Shawn laugh, and JJ said, "Dude if you weren't my twin, I would lay you out right now. But seriously, don't let Cassie taint your view on women."

I nodded, and Shawn asked, "So, what's up with this, Mel girl? The guys told us what happened at the bakery."

"Dude, I don't even know. What I do know is she's a pain in the ass. Do you know she hired some gay dude to make me jealous?" I mentioned.

"At least hire a straight guy. This girl is batting zero for zero. Must be the reason she thought you were gay, she gravitates to gay men," JJ remarked. Shawn and I looked at him. "What? Think about it. She dated Gage, a flaming homosexual, hired some random dude who is also gay, and assumed you and RJ were gay. How she missed Nik being gay is surprising."

JJ has always been the logical one out of the two of us. He always points out the obvious even when the rest of us overlook it. He gets that from Dad. He's also the one that makes sure we don't end up in jail for most shit we have done. He makes me proud.

"Dad is coming in this weekend," Shawn mentioned.

"For a session?" I asked.

"Yeah, and he wants to check my meds. He wants to see if he can lower the dosage," Shawn answered.

"Have you had any more episodes?" JJ asked.

"Nothing like when we first came here. I have some anxiety, but Mack has been helping me deal with it," Shawn explained.

"Is Mom coming or just Dad?" I asked.

"Mom's coming next time. She's staying behind to stay with Alex while Ryan comes with Dad. I guess Frazier and Marissa stay with her," Shawn said.

"Does the wonder twins and RJ know Uncle Ryan's coming?" I asked Shawn.

"Nope," Shawn replied.

"Good, don't tell them. It's always fun to see our cousins' faces when Uncle Ryan shows up," I smirked.

JJ and Shawn laughed.

I spent all week with Mel plotting and planning, trying to make me jealous or get my attention somehow. Seriously, what is with this chick? I rolled my eyes at her ideas and went along with my business.

Why she is so bound and determined to get my attention is beyond me. One incident came to mind with Mel.

I came out of class when Mel popped into view.

"Just hear me out," Mel said enthusiastically.

"Don't you have some other poor soul to rope into your schemes?" I asked as I turned and started walking.

She ran up to me. "Oh, come on! All I'm asking is for you to hear me out." She grabbed my arm, stopping me. I looked down at her hand then at her as she added, "Please."

"Fine," I said, removing her hand from my arm.

"Look, I understand you're still pissed about prom, but I assure you that I'm not bad if you get to know me. Give me one chance, and if you completely hate it, I promise not to bother you again," Mel said, grinning and all giddy.

"You mean because you've had such great luck with guys in the past. If I'm not mistaken, your ex is a psycho killer who is gay, hired a gay man to make me jealous, and assumed I was gay. You seem to have this common theme where it concerns men. Thanks, but I'll pass," I said, leaning into her face and smiling, then walked away.

Something told me that would not be the end at all. Bring it on, sister, let's see what you got.