Chapter Thirty-Four

No.

This can't be happening!

"Link!" I called out, cupping my hands over my mouth. I hurriedly looked around, Hyrule Castle looming over before me. My hands began to shake, and my ears began to ring. "Midna! Agitha! Where are you?"

I felt helpless and alone. My friends weren't with me, and who knew? Maybe Ganon would come back and take me away again... I had no idea of knowing.

I shook my head. No. This isn't a time to be weak. Think, Zelda! You can get yourself out of this predicament!

I arose off of my hands and knees, taking a deep breath as I turned toward the castle. Did Ganon send me here? Are Link, Agitha, and Midna still underground? What should I do?!

"Shut up, Zelda," I mumbled to myself, clenching my teeth and closing my eyes. My hands were now fists, and I was slowly growing angry at myself. I shook my head. Regardless of my own feelings, I needed to find a way to get back to my friends.

My body was suddenly enveloped in light. I grunted, pulling at my clothes. "No, not now!" I spoke aloud, but it was too late. I was now wearing Princess Zelda's dress from ancient Hyrule.

I shook my head continuously, pulling at the purple and white dress. I closed my eyes, wishing to get back into my old clothes.

"Please turn back, I can't be seen in these...!" My heart thumped harder in my chest with each passing moment. I continued to rip and pull at the dress, but to no avail; it wouldn't even tear in the slightest.

Finally giving up, I fell down onto my back, looking up at Hyrule Castle. It's structure was tall and gorgeously built. The royal family's emblem was scattered on different parts of the castle, as well as the Triforce symbol. My stomach twisted and churned, and I felt nauseous.

I chuckled softly. "This is crazy..." I spoke to myself. I then squinted my eyes and laughed. "I'm crazy."

I smiled, looking back up at the castle. I closed my eyes, spreading my arms out at my sides.

How long ago was it? I thought to myself. How long ago had Link and I finally figured out we were reincarnations of previous heroes...?

It had only been two months.

I rolled my eyes, a smile still resting on my lips. My mind began to wander as I continued to stare at the royal family's emblem. The wings around the Triforce made my stomach feel bubbly, and the Triforce itself seemed to have given me hope.

As I continued to stare, it eventually looked like the stone emblem was glowing a golden color.

I sat up, squinting my eyes. Had the emblem always glowed golden like that before?

"Who are you?"

I spun around, my hair following my movements. My heart skipped a beat.

"You're..." I began, suddenly at a loss for words.

Princess Zelda stood, her feet planted on the ground. She looked exactly like me, yet, completely different at the same time. I stared at her, completely dumbfounded.

My past self was standing right in front of me.

"Are you... me?" the princess asked quietly, barely above a whisper. Her hands began to shake. She stepped backwards, shaking her head ever so slowly. "Or... are you Ganon, trying to trick me?"

My stomach churned. "No, your majesty, I'm-"

Zelda gasped. "Impa spoke of this once before." She ran up a small flight of stairs to reach where I stood, yet she halted to a stop a few feet away from me. "I cannot-" she began, holding a hand close to her chest. "You must leave at once."