Chapter Fifteen

Link held my hand gently in his, placing a beautiful white lily flower in my brown hair. He smiled, pushing my hair back, resting his palm against my cheek. I leaned into his hand, feeling the warmth of his skin against mine. I smiled, looking up at him. We sat in the castle courtyard, on a bench in the middle of a patch of flowers. Link was wearing chain armor, and both a sword and shield were resting on his back. I had on my purple, white and golden dress.

"You know," I began, straightening myself up, staring at the blue sky, "you cannot stay for long."

Link laughed softly. "I am aware, Princess-"

"Zelda," I corrected, nudging his shoulder.

Link nodded with a smile. "Yes, Zelda."

A loud, deep voice came from within the castle. "Princess Zelda! Are you out here?"

I gasped, pushing Link. "They can't see you! You could get in trouble, or worse..."

Link laid his hand on my shoulder. "It's okay, it's not like they can let me go," he laughed. "I'm the best in our training classes."

I nodded quickly, continuing to push Link out of the courtyard. "Yes, yes, but, even so, if that were to happen, I could never forgive myself."

Link smiled brightly. "Zelda, it's alright. I'll be fine." He pointed up to the castle, and he chuckled. "You better go."

I looked up at the giant castle, then I looked down at my boots, barely peeking out from under my dress. I looked back up at Link, trying to hide any pain in my expression. "I have to practice my magic with Impa..." I paused, my smile turning to a frown. "Before..."

Link shook his head. "Hey, that's not going to happen." He smiled, lifting my chin. "Maybe the prophecy is wrong?"

I smiled sadly. "Well, everyone has led me to believe that it is true." I nodded. "The prophecy states that the Princess, who bears the Triforce of Wisdom, will join forces with the Hero of Hyrule, who bears the Triforce of Courage..."

Link ran his fingers through his hair. "... To defeat the evil being who possesses the Triforce of Power."

I nodded, my hands shaking at my sides. "I don't want to bear the Triforce, Link..." I said, the small golden triangles beginning to glow on my right hand. I laughed. "I'm too scared, and my magic isn't strong enough... It never will be..."

Link shook his head, taking my right hand. "I know that it must be hard, to," he paused, looking at the sky for a moment, "y'know, have the Triforce."

I smiled. "Yeah, and I don't know who the Hero of Hyrule is yet..."

Link laughed awkwardly. "Hey, hopefully he won't be some stuck up jerk."

I hit his arm. "He's a Hero, not a wimp!" I laughed.

"Princess Zelda? Are you out here?" The voice called again. "Lady Impa requests your presence immediately!"

Link held my shoulders and turned my body around. He gave me a slight push, sending me in the direction of the castle. "Now go," he said, "before the both of us get in trouble."

I turned around, smiling softly. "Meet me here at sunset?"

Link began backing away, out of the courtyard and back to training. "Of course, Zelda."

I gasped, clasping my hands together.

Link ran back beside me, worried something was wrong. "What is it?"