Chapter Twenty-Seven

Bidding our goodbyes to the people of Ordon, Link and I finally made our way out of the fruitful village and back into Faron Woods. The mayor of Ordon had told us a tale of the Hero's Weapon, and where it had been sealed off.

"You see," the mayor, Bo, began, his eyes closed, holding his hands out to the both of us. "You two must travel to the Sacred Grove past Faron Woods... There will be a temple inside a large tree. West of the tree is a small passageway..." the old man paused, seemingly holding in his breath. "That is all I know. Anything else is beyond my knowledge. I wish you two the best of luck."

After those words, Link and I left.

We made our way past Faron Woods, and near the temple like old man Bo had said. Standing tall before us was the Forest Temple; Link had remembered it's name.

"Squawk! Make a purchase! Make a purchase!"

I froze, my eyes widening. I turned to my right, seeing the craziest thing.

"D-Did that bird..." I began, lifting a finger it's way.

"...just talk?" Link finished my sentence. We both stared at the strange creature in awe. The bird had a large, round head. It was mainly a dark shade of purple. It's eyes were a swamp-colored green, and its beak was a bright yellow. It's wings were striped with aqua, yellow, orange, and green colors.

"Come on! Make a purchase! Squawk!" It spoke, flapping its wings furiously.

I pushed Link in front of me, and he stepped forward. We both slowly walked up to the talking bird. It sat perched on a small wooden slab, right above two large cauldrons. One cauldron was filled with a yellow liquid, which looked to be oil, and the other was a blood, crimson color.

I just hoped it wasn't actually blood.

"Hello," Link said awkwardly, waving at the bird. "What's your name?"

"Name?" The bird chirped. "Name? Trill! Trill! Squawk!"

"Trill, huh?" I asked, peeking out from Link's side. "Nice to meet you, Trill."

"Customers!" Trill called our attention. "Purchase! Make a lovely purchase!"

Link chuckled nervously. "Sorry, bud. We don't have any money."

I smiled. "Actually, I might have a few bucks in my back pocket..."

"Bucks? Squawk?" Trill seemed to ask.

I laughed. "Yeah, of course!" I walked over to the two cauldrons, inspecting what the small bird was selling. The cauldron with the red liquid seemed to be a potion that could heal an injured soul, and the yellow liquid was actually oil, as I had presumed.

"Wait, Zelda-" Link began, but I had already materialized a small glass bottle in my hands.

"Don't worry, we might need this!" I told Link, scooping up some red potion into the bottle. Trill began to chirp with joy. I shoved the potion bottle into Link's hand, slipping a five dollar bill into the small payment box Trill sat over.

"What is that garbage?" Trill screeched, and I backed away quickly.

Link smacked my arm. "Are you dumb? They don't use dollar bills like we do, in our time!"

I froze. "Shoot."

"Stop..." Trill began, pushing his wings out to the side.

Link grabbed my hand. "Run."

"...Thief!" Trill shrieked, jumping off of his small platform. He soared at Link and I, holding out his claws. Link pulled me along as we ran behind a small tree to the left of the small area we were in.