Chapter Thirty-One

Link's POV

I couldn't believe it.

Two girls, supposedly dead, sat right in front of me on Zelda's front lawn.

"Oh no, Agitha," Midna began, ending the silence, "you were dragged into this?"

Agitha nodded sadly. "No need to worry, though! It'll all work out in the end, I'm sure."

I looked over at Midna. "So, how are you here?"

Midna grinned. "My brother... He used our tribe's magic to take me to the Twilight Realm and to heal me..."

"Brother?" I asked. "Do we know him from school?"

Midna shook her head quickly. She drew in a quick breath. "He believed I was the Midna. Y'know, the one in the past. But I wasn't. I was Midna from the future." She paused, closing her eyes. "Nonetheless, he saved me, and I am eternally grateful for his help. He didn't care if I was his Midna or future Midna, he wanted to help."

I couldn't help but smile. "If we ever see him, we'll have to thank him."

Midna nodded. "He was very kind."

I stood up. The warm afternoon sun cloaked my body in warmth. I closed my eyes, immediately thinking of Zelda, and how just an image of her calmed me.

Agitha pushed me. "Link! Link, snap out of it! We need to go rescue Zelda!"

By now, Agitha was vigorously shaking my shoulders. "Alright, alright!" I yelled, trying to compose myself after Agitha's attack.

Agitha, standing proudly after snapping me out of my daze, stuck out her tongue. "Well, now that we have Midna, we can go back into time and save Zelda!"

Midna frowned. "I-I..." she stuttered. I looked at her. She looked weak and helpless, which was crazy. Midna, the strong, sarcastic, kind-yet-harsh girl, shivering. Her eyes drooped downwards, and a tear fell from her cheek. "I don't have that power..."

I stepped forward. "What? But you took both Zelda and I in the past!"

Midna lifted her head, her eyes level with mine. "You don't understand!" she proclaimed, her hands against her chest. "That was a few days ago! I'm out of power, and I don't even know if I can transport us back there again..."

My eyes widened, and I froze where I stood. "Meaning..."

Agitha shook her head slowly. "It can't be..."

It grew silent, and the area around us became tense. My knees became weak, and I felt like I was about to fall to the cold, hard ground. No, Zelda... I felt the hot tears blur my eyes. I couldn't see. I quickly wiped them away before the girls saw them.

Zelda... I miss you.

"Aren't you all supposed to be the heroes? The heroes that rescue the princess? Pathetic! Do not loose hope!"

All at once, Midna, Agitha and I gasped, looking upwards.

"That voice..." I spoke aloud. The voice of an old woman. It sounded so familiar...

"Come on, hold your heads up high! Show Ganon who's boss, and kick his tan behind high above the clouds!"

Agitha snickered. "Who's voice is that?" she asked, suddenly erupting in laughter.

Then, like she had almost a month ago, she had appeared right before the three of us.

This time, she was no longer a transparent hologram, but a real, living human, just like Agitha, Midna and I.