Chapter Twenty-Eight

After retrieving the Master Sword, Link and I made our way back into Ordon. We traveled back through the treacherous Faron Woods, running into a few obstacles along the way. Our trip gave Link and I plenty of time to talk.

"Wait," Link stopped where he was, clutching his legendary weapon in his left hand. "If Ganon hasn't attacked Hyrule yet, then couldn't we see our past selves?"

I shook my head slowly. "I can guarantee if we met our past selves, something would ruin another, and we might change time."

Link stared at me as I widened my eyes, making it seem like my head was exploding. "Poof," I whispered, "and everyone we know disappears because we met our past selves."

Link rolled his eyes. "You're insane."

I put my hands on my hips. "What do you mean? I've seen all of the science-fiction movies about time travel. It always ends up with the main protagonist's family and friends changing to be completely different people."

Link shrugged his shoulders. "So, where do you think Ganon is hiding?"

"Up your butt and around the corner!"

I snorted, clasping my hand over my mouth. I held in my laughter as best as I could before erupting in a laughing mess. "Who was that?" I breathed in between my hearty giggles.

Link turned around. He saw a small brown head with a dash of red. "Talo? Is that you?!"

I heard a slight snicker from behind a bush. I gasped, looking at my attire. I held my breath, changing into my regular clothes. Link did the same.

"Aw man, Malo! Beth! It's just the same guys from last time!" I heard Talo whimper. The three children emerged from a small bush. Beth rolled her eyes in annoyance at the young boy.

I watched as Ilia also came out as well. "You be nice now, boys!" She scolded. "You told me you were just going to watch the passerby, not eavesdrop on their conversations!"

Talo giggled. "Heh, well maybe I lied."

Beth smacked Talo alongside his head. "Idiot."

Talo held his head in his hands, looking up at Beth. "Watch it!" He snapped, scowling. "After I become the next swordsman of Ordon, you'll be begging me to leave you alone!"

"That's enough!" Ilia concluded, turning towards Link and I. "I'm very sorry, I never meant for these kids to cause you any trouble. I'm supposed to be watching over them, and they're my responsibility."

Link stepped forward. "It's no problem, really. Zelda and I were just-"

Beth gasped. "Zelda? The Zelda? Princess Zelda?"

My eyes widened, and I turned to Link.

My left eye began to twitch.

Idiot! I screamed in my head, staring at Link.

Link just flashed a toothy grin. He turned back to the kids and Ilia. "N-No, actually, this is just my friend Z-"

"She even looks like the princess, too!" Talo smiled.

Colin suddenly appeared from behind Ilia. I hadn't even noticed him before.

"Maybe that's why this lady was so courageous when saving me," Colin said quietly. "The princess is very brave, so it would make sense."

I shook my head. "I'm not-"

Ilia snapped her fingers. "I'm almost positive you look like the princess."