Chapter Nineteen

I was numb.

I couldn't feel anything.

Completely and utterly numb.

I had been laying on a bed Nabooru and the other Gerudo had let me sleep on.

Yet, I couldn't sleep.

I stared at the ceiling for what seemed like hours on end.

The worst part?

It had only been twenty minutes.

I didn't cry.

I didn't scream.

I wanted to do both of those, but something inside me told me not to.

Link came in to check on me many times in the twenty minutes I was lying on the bed.

I ignored him each time.

Why... Am I pushing him away? I thought to myself.

"Listen..." he said quietly. "If... If you ever need me, please... Tell me... Okay?"

I turned my head and looked up at him. He was sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Promise?"

For some reason, at that moment, the tears started to build up.

"Zelda..." Link mumbled softly, leaning closer.

"I-I'm fine," I lied, looking the other way. I laid my head on my hands, trying to control my tears.

"You're not," Link said loudly.

I looked up at him once again.

"You're not," I watched as he balled up his fist on the bed.

"No, really, I-"

"Stop lying...!" Link looked at the floor. "I want to help you, Zelda, but you won't let me."

I propped myself up, looking at Link. My hair was a mess, part of my shirt had fallen down my shoulder, and I had one sock on. I smiled, pulling my shirt up and taking off my sock. I threw it on the ground, right beside my shoes. "You know, I'm not lying."

Link cocked his head to the side. "What?"

I felt a tear finally roll down my cheek. "I'm fine."

"Zelda..." Link whispered.

"I'm fine."

"You don't have to pretend to be strong," Link took my head in his hands.

"But I have to be," I laughed softly, tears starting to flow from my eyes. "You and M-Midna were the strong ones. I have to take Midna's place now that she's..." I paused, my smile fading.

"It'll be okay," Link said comfortingly, pushing my messy hair out of my eyes. "She'll be watching over us, and protecting us."

I sniffed. I looked at Link and rubbed my eyes. "I-I miss her," I cried.

Link wrapped his arms around me. "I know. I do, too," he said calmly. "We have to stay strong, for her sake."

I nodded, gripping the back of his shirt. "For her sake..."

______________

"Zelda! Come on, or you're going to be late for school!"

My eyes burned as I forced them open. I held my arm over my forehead, looking away from the bright light. After blinking my eyes a few times, I lowered my arm, looking around the room I was in.