Burn in Water, Drown in Fire ~34~ Louder Than Thunder

Start from the beginning

“That explains why you’re not cold,” she chattered.

“Well yeah,” I said.

“Sorry. I just forget sometimes,” she said, making my heart stop. She forgets about me being some weird mutant? She looked over to me in my silence. “I mean, you don’t use your powers all the time like the others.”

Because I don’t have a need to.

“But I can,” I said in a quiet voice. I grabbed her hand and laced our fingers. She stopped walking.

“I thought you gave up on me,” she said, avoiding my gaze.

“Me too,” I admitted. I sighed, my breath condensing in the air. “I don’t really think I can honestly give up on someone like you…”

It was the truth and I really thought it was time to confess.

“I hope that you didn’t give up on me,” I added. She scoffed and dropped my hand.

“What was there to give up, exactly?” she asked, confused. I gave her a doubtful look.

“You can’t stand there and tell me that there was never something between us,” I said seriously.

“Yeah, but it’s not like it would’ve amounted to anything,” she reasoned.

“Right. Because you’re too obsessed with Joey and his love for you, that you won’t offer yourself to anyone else,” I scolded.

“You act like it’s a crime to fall in love!” she shrieked.

“It is when you keep leading him on when you’re not in love with him,” I reasoned in a loud voice.

“I’m not leading him on, Zac,” she said in a low voice.

“You’re not just leading him on, you’re leading me on too,” I reasoned, getting angry. “I want you, Angel. I deserve you. Only, you won’t give me a d4mn chance.”

“A chance to what!? Yell at me like you are now?” she responded. I sighed and realized that she was right.

“A chance to warm you…” I whispered. I grabbed her hand. “And be with you…”

I grabbed her face and rubbed a thumb over her cheek, making her blush intensely. With my other hand that clutched hers, I moved it to the small of her back and pulled her into me with my arm wrapped around her waist. I placed my forehead on hers.

“And…love you,” I found myself whispering with my eyes closed. “Now tell me…did I run out of chances?”

“Maybe,” she whispered, her breath grazing by my face. I cupped her chin and positioned it higher. I pressed my lips to hers and felt a new kind of warmth. I pulled away and surprising enough, she reached up further and continued to kiss me back. I connected my tongue with hers and felt completely in heaven with her. I pulled away, thinking this was enough. At the same time, she pulled away, taking a step back with a hand over her mouth, looking away from me.

“Angel, I’m—” sh!t. sh!t. sh!t.

She turned her back to me and started to walk off, but then she stopped walking.

“For the record, I didn’t lead anyone on,” she said, even though it was contradicting at this point. She kissed me and knew she’d never do anything more about it. And not only did she kiss me, but she kissed me while being with Joey.

I watched her walk back from where we came and minutes later, I did the same.

(Brian’s POV)

“We have the rink to ourselves, you know,” I told Zac. Ever since he got back from his break, he’s been all depressed. I just wanted him to cheer up.