Chapter 75: Welcome to the Giants

Landing in New York a few days later meeting Michelle at the hotel. "Hey Reid," she greets him. "Ready for the fun to begin?"

"Yep I guess you can call it that," he laughs.

"We are going to the stadium to sign the contract and there's a press conference."

"What questions are going to be asked?"

"Hopefully nothing more then the trade and what you're looking for in the new team."

"Yeah hopefully," he nods, both walking to meet with the GM and the team lawyers.

"It's nice to finally have you on our team Hatfield," the GM shakes his hand.

"Good to be here sir."

"As soon as we knew you were on the market we snatched you up," the GM laughs, a little different then what Atlanta says.

"On the market?" Reid asks confused.

"Yeah Atlanta has been calling around since the end of the season."

"So they've been trying to get rid of me?"

"Hey their loss, our gain."

"So what are you guys offering me?" Reid asks looking over the contract.

"We mirrored your Atlanta contract, sweetened the deal with an extra million, 8 million signing bonus, and a few incentives here and there."

"What kind of incentives?"

"You know, extra cash for you meeting yards, catches, so on."

"And you were told I have a wife and two kids right? Back home still in Atlanta?"

"Yes, we heard you needed time off to get them here."

"Yeah or I'll be in the dog house for a while," Reid laughs, then signing.

"We will make sure she loves it up here," the GM expresses, shaking Reid's hand.

"Well, she's from here."

"Even better...we think you'll fit in well here."

"Thank you," he nods and stands up, ushered into a room full of reporters. They all yell his name, wanting to be first.

Reid points, "you."

"What was your reaction to learning you were traded?" the reporter asks.

"I was shocked but also very happy," Reid answers, pointing to the next person.

"What do you think you'll bring to the Giants?"

"Tenacity, I'll bring some speed to the team and hopefully get the team on a more team basis."

"Considering the rivalry and your sour relationship with Markus James," a Giants member and also the one that caused Reid's injury the season before, "after last year. How is it going to be between you now?"

"Well I hope we'll be adults about it and you know come to realization that we are teammates now."

"Is your arm ready for this season?" someone asks from the back.

"Yeah I'm good as new. Next question?"

"How do you feel finding out Atlanta was going in new directions and letting you go? Did you look at other teams?"

Reid furrows his brow, a little annoyed with the man. "Can't look at other teams if I had no idea they are feeling that way," he shakes his head. "Like the first guy asked, this was a surprise when I got that phone call before I flew to the Caribbean for my honeymoon."

"You had no idea this was happening?"

"No, I had no idea this was happening. There was talk at the beginning of the season but nothing happened so I figured it was dropped."

"How are you going to feel playing Atlanta in the preseason in a couple weeks?" the next question flies.

"I'll be happy to whoop their butt with my new team," he smiles. "Thanks guys," he nods exiting the room. His phone lights up with a text from Jamie along with a picture of Jamie, Grayson, and Landon.

"Good job Hatfield," Michelle smiles.

"She's way too good for me," he says looking down at his phone.

"Who is?" Michelle asks confused.

He shows her the photo.

"You make cute babies Reid," she smiles. "You picked a winner for her, you're lucky you got her."

"I'm surprised the media hasn't wanted more on her."

"You do a good job of keeping your private life private."

"You know the ratings I got when I made that television appearance."

"What about them?" Michelle nods.

"Nothing," he laughs.

"Do you want to do another with her in it?"

"I doubt she'll be up for it."

"She really is a good girl."

"Yeah I know," Reid grins. "Are you feeding me?" he asks, giving her a hard time.

She rolls her eyes. "When are you not starving? But yes I'm feeding you."

Reid gets back to the hotel and showering, then climbing on the bed to FaceTime his family.

"Hey babe," she answers, Landon and herself coming on the screen.

"What are you doing?"

She holds Landon up. "Feeding your always hungry child. You?"

"Just got back from eating with Michelle. I'm so stuffed."

"Hot date?" she winks at him.

"You're funny. Where's Gray?"

Jamie moves the iPad, Grayson coming into view. "Tell dada hi," he hears her voice.

"Dada," the little boy grins, crawling over.

"Still not saying momma yet huh?"

"He's stubborn like his father."

"He'll say it. Give him time."

"I know I know. You did good today."

"Thanks. I thought it went okay."

"Any surprises in the contract?"

"They pretty much did what Atlanta did. The extra million like I said added onto my salary, an eight million dollar signing bonus, and extra money I guess for catches and touchdowns and yards and stuff like that."

"Good we can put that extra eight million on our house."

"I mean I hope our house doesn't cost eight million," Reid winks.

"Hey might as well make it nice," she says back. "You need to come home, I miss you."

"One more day."

"We're they okay with you coming back?"

"They were fine with it."

"Good," she nods glancing down at Grayson.