Chapter 53: Coma

Jamie slowly opens and closes her eyes, catching glimpses of flashing red and blue when they flutter. She comes too, sirens, voices filling her ears. Lifting her head up, she sees Reid sitting up still, the seatbelt causing a burn on his neck and his head slumped. The pain immediately hitting her but pushing through it as she tries to move and screaming in agony, her legs pinned against the metal.

"Reid!" she yells trying to shake him, panicking and trying to turn to see Grayson.

Looking out the broken window, paramedics and firefighters running over to assess the situation. Jamie immediately tells them about Grayson, while a couple others open Reid's door and getting him out easily. She sees Reid, unconscious, black and blue as they get him on a stretcher and rushing him to the ambulance. Her head snaps away as she hears Grayson cry and scream.

"Ma'am," a young female paramedic holding Grayson in a blanket, "your baby is okay. We are going to go ahead and transport him to the hospital. We need to focus on you now okay?"

"Thank god," Jamie breathes a sigh of relief, but unable to keep her eyes open.

********************

A gentle yet steady beeping is all that fills Reid's ears, opening his eyes and looking around. His head bandaged and his face, his arm wrapped since it suffered some cuts from the shattered glass. Groaning, he looks around but panics a little not seeing Jamie nor Grayson.

"Oh thank god you're awake," his mom stands up quickly, coming over and kissing his head.

Reid tries to sit up. "Wha...what happened? Where's Jamie? Where...where's Grayson?"

"Sshh. It's okay Reid. Grayson is fine. He is in the babies unit waiting for you to wake up. Jamie...they had to put her in a coma to determine her injuries without hurting the baby."

"What?" Reid asks wide eyed before trying to sit up once more. "Where is she? I want to see her."

His parents try to push him back on the bed. "Her parents are there with her. She will be okay."

"No she needs me," Reid says pulling out one of his IV's, the monitor going crazy-a nurse and doctor rushing in.

"Mr. Hatfield please don't make us tie you down," the doctor pushing him back.

But, Reid continues to struggle. He relaxes as the nurse injects the syringe into his arm, getting him to relax. His eyes getting heavy.

"Why the hell did you do that for?!" his mom demands from the doctor.

"He could risk hurting himself worse if we don't put him to sleep. He doesn't need the stress."

"Is my daughter-in-law going to be okay?" his mom asks, even though Reid and Jamie aren't married.

"We are hoping so, there's still uncertainty."

A few more hours pass and Reid wakes up again, in pain as his arm feels like it burning because of the deep cuts and gauze around it.

"Hey," his mom says rubbing his hand. "How are you feeling?"

"Tired..." he answers. "And my arm hurts."

"I know hun, you're pretty banged up. Do you want to see Grayson?"

"Yeah," he nods, his dad bringing in his son. Reid takes him, the little boy only with a few cuts on his cheek and forehead. "Hey buddy," kissing his forehead. "I'm so sorry."

"It wasn't your fault Reid," his mom says softly.

The doctor walks back in. "Glad to see you're back awake."

"When can I go see Jamie?"

He glances over at his parents. "I can take you now if you'd like."

Reid nods, his mom taking Grayson. The doctor helping Reid into a wheelchair. He is wheeled a few doors down.

"She is better than she looks just remember that," the doctor tells Reid, opening the door. They head into the room, Jamie still sedated and asleep, tubes coming out everywhere. There is a cast on her right arm and full cast on her leg. Her face also swollen from the cuts. "She has some pretty bad swelling and cuts. She broke her femur and just fractured her collarbone but she's very lucky and so is your unborn child."

"Thank you," Reid nods, sliding his good hand on her arm. "I'm so sorry Jamie."