Chapter 9: In The Tabloids

"Who was that you brought back for a one-nighter?" one of the new guys asks Reid.

          "I've actually had multiple nighters thank you," Reid smirks.

          "You finally getting settled down?"

          "She actually came to Georgia for a couple of days. She surprised me at the game against Kansas."

          "That's awesome man, you deserve something good," Jimmie speaks up.

          "Yeah, she's pretty amazing. I'm going to New York for that GQ spread, and I'm probably staying with her too."

          "Just don't leave us for the Giants anytime soon to be with her," they tease.

          Smiling, Reid finishes getting dressed and tells the guys bye before walking into the parking lot—his phone dinging. He opens the message from Jamie as he throws his stuff in the truck, the front cover of the magazine coming through. "Who's that sexy couple?" the message under the picture reads. He calls Jamie.

          "Hey there," she answers.

          "Hey. When did that issue come out? I haven't seen that," he asks, getting in the truck and heading home.

          "Hi, I miss you so much too," Jamie says sarcastically. "Let me look. My co-worker showed it to me after my meeting today," a pause. "It came out Monday."

          "You know I miss you," he laughs. "I'm sorry about that, the picture and stuff."

          "It's okay," she says. "I was a bit surprised when I was shown the picture this morning, but I should have expected it from after the game when they were snapping pictures of you. Just keep me as the mystery woman for a little bit and just don't have any other mystery women."

          "Deal. What are you doing?"

          "I just got home from work and having dinner on my couch, so exciting, I know. What are you doing?"

          "Just going to pick up some takeout. You know eating the weight that I probably lost today at practice."

          "Practice hard today?" she asks, looking at the magazine one more time. The article goes on about his track record with women, a bit of a negative story about Reid. The article going into detail about his recent ex-girlfriend who is an up and coming actress, doing a little modeling also.

           "Oh yeah. I don't know what our coach's deal was today, but he killed us," Reid laughs. "I'm rewarding myself with some Thai food."

          "Oh?" she says, barely listening, seeing the other women he's linked to. "Hey Reid, are you sure you want to date me?"

          "Wait what? Why did you ask me that? Are you reading that article?"

          "I'm just wondering," she says, reading over the names of actresses and models. "I mean from the article, I'm really not your type."

          "Yeah, you are, just because I've dated a model in the past and my recent ex is a model who is getting into some acting doesn't mean you're not my type. Those relationships didn't last that long. I like that I can be myself around you, that I can be normal."

          "You've dated several models and actresses," Jamie corrects him. "You like me because I'm normal and boring? What, like the others aren't?"

          Reid sighs. "That's not what I meant, with them it was different. They were always gone, go, go all the time, always wanted to be in the spotlight even when they didn't have to. They wanted to always tell the world what was going on with us, and sometimes I like having my own privacy, and I like feeling normal where I can go somewhere and not be stopped by people wanting autographs. I like to stay home and do my own thing and not be in the limelight all the time. You know? You're just different. You care. You care about me and our relatively new relationship, I might add. I just feel different when I'm with you. A good different, of course."

          "I know what we've had. The last week has been good, but that's it, it's been exactly a week. I do care about you and making this work."

          "Well, I want to make this work too."

          Jamie smiles. "I was just surprised by the article, but I know I'll have to get used to these things about you."

          "Trust me, you'll read something about you that you didn't even know about yourself because paparazzi think they know everything."

          "I know. I hate the stories because I know most aren't true but when you see yourself or someone you like it's different. So, I know you're supposed to stay at the hotel next week but how about you stay with me?" Jamie asks, switching gears.

          "I would love nothing more. Are you sure you want to house me for a couple of days?"

           "Well, you just did it for me, but I think it'll be fun. Plus, everyone will be thinking you're staying at the hotel, and nobody will expect you at my apartment on the East side."

          "I'll help you pay for food and stuff. You know how much I eat so," Reid laughs.

          "Nope sorry, you won't be paying for food."

          "Well, I fly in Wednesday afternoon, probably about two-thirty. Do you just want to send me your address and I'll just get a cab there?"

           "That works. I'll let the doorman know, and he will let you right up. I'll try to clear my schedule for the afternoon."

          "Okay," he smiles, both now excited.