Chapter 1: Memories

*Picture is of Lilith Light*

*You can't throw me to the wolves,

they come when I call.*

I lay in my bed staring up at my plain cream ceiling, wishing the day was over before it even began. Today I turned eighteen. So did my best friend Emma, today was her birthday as well even though it's not just a coincidence.

Nearly twelve years ago I was found wondering around on the outer border of the Steel Wolves Pack. With sticks stuck in my hair and covered in mud, the only belonging I had on me was a ragged black blanket with the name Lilith Light engraved in tiny white letters on it. No clothes or jewelry, no note explaining my appearance. Nothing.

The pack enforcers brought me to the Alpha and Luna, unsure of what to do with the feral looking child who refused to utter a word. I can remember being carried into the main foyer, the lights blinding me, and being placed before the most beautiful woman I thought my eyes had ever laid on. The Luna's name was Anna Marie, she had white blonde hair that reached her butt and sparking blue eyes. I remember wanting to run my tiny fingers through it but deciding that I would just ruin it with my dirty hands. With the most calming smile, she reached out to me, engulfing my tiny body in a hug,even though I was disgusting while she whispered "Fear not little Lilith, you will stay with us now. I will always protect you."

While I longed to believe her, the look in the Alpha's eyes told another story completely. The Alpha's name was Eric Steel. You could tell he was a hardened man from the look in his eyes. Bright silver orbs would pierce into yours each time he made eye contact with you, striking fear into the most dangerous of men.

That's how I became part of this pack and came to meet Emma Steel, daughter of the Luna and Alpha, she was the princess of the pack and she was the only one I could count on, my one and only true friend. My sister.

Emma spent every single day with me after that. Demanding that I be moved into her room and I have the same birthday as well. I'm sure she would have by even given me a name if mine wasn't written on my blanket. Emma was just as beautiful as her mother but much more bossy, but since she was the Alpha's daughter, no one dared deny her. We did everything together, and I became more or less her shadow.

The older pack members joked that I was either her pet or own personal body guard.

It took nearly two years before I spoke my first word. We had snuck out of the pack house one morning to follow her older brother Zachary and a few other of his friends into the woods. Being three years older than us, he had grown too cool for his younger sister and saying it drove Emma nuts was an understatement. She looked up to her brother so when he started to ignore her, it hurt her feeling.

It was quite that morning with a layer of fog covering the forest floor. We had managed to get past the guards posted outside and crept past the tree line in the back yard. Usually you could hear crickets chirping loudly every night or even the occasional peek hooting into the night, but this night was different.

My gut told me that something wasn't right, I reached out and grabbed Emma's pale arm. When she turned and looked at me, I shook my head and looked back towards our home. I wanted to go back desperately. She only smiled and kissed my cheek.

"We have been out here thousands of times," she whispered "Don't be a scardy cat. I wanna know why Zach won't play with us no more."

Sighing, I looked at her with pleading eyes but she only giggled and started after her brother. More afraid of being away from her, I followed close behind. Dirt covered my bare feet as we trudged through the bushes and down a beaten path. The fog got even thicker as we got further into the dense woods making it hard to see in front of us. I even remember us tripping and falling a few times over sticks we were unable to spot quick enough. 

We must have walked over two miles before my ears picked up the sounds of crying off into the distance. Emma hearing it only a second after I did, took off at a sprint calling for her brother. She was fast for her age but I was faster. I ran ahead of her, keeping my eyes and ears open for any danger. Even at eight years old, I could sense that Emma's wolf would be more submissive than mine so the need to protect her was strongly engraved into my soul.

When the smell of blood filled my senses, I dropped low and snatched Emma foot as she tried to run by. Rolling over on to her and covering her mouth with my hand, I commanded with my eyes to be silent, praying she would listen to me for once in her life.

Tears filled her eyes and she struggled to get out of my hold. "Lilith please" Choking on a sob, she was starting to hyperventilate. "T-that's Zachary's blood." She was right, I could smell it clearly. I knew that whatever or whoever the threat was had more then likely heard her calling but if I could keep her silent, I might be able to lead it away.

Taking a deep breath, I gathered all my courage and spoke. "Emma hush, I have a plan." Her eyes went wide and she gasped but I could tell I had her attention. "I need you to run back to the pack house and get your parents" I had never called them our parents, even though Emma and Anna Marie had both insisted on it. I could call Emma my sister with ease but them.. no they weren't my family. "I want you to tell them where your brother is and lead them here if you have to." She started to shake her head no but I continued. "I am going to try to lead whatever is out here away from the boys. They are going to be just fine and so will I, no one is faster than I am remember?" I faked a smile. While I was fast for my age, I was no where near the fastest but Emma liked to remind me that I could in fast run faster than her brother. "Now I'm going to count to three and your gonna get the Alpha, understand." When she didn't speak I shook her a little, trying to pull her from the shock. Her eyes began to focus and she finally nodded her head, white blonde strands of hair falling around her wet face, sticking to her tears.

Smiling, I petted her head and turned towards our unseen enemy.

"One." Set your fear aside.

"Two." Reach for me.

"Three." Let me free.

*I know its starting off a little weird but I feel like you need to know her background so you can connect with her properly. I hope you enjoyed the first chapter and don't forget to comment and vote!*