Chapter 40

Monsters, Katie Sky

Quote;

Laughter is not always the best thing,
Sometimes we need to cry and express our emotions.

Chapter 40.

"Thanks, I had a great time. We should do it again." I settle, the corner of my mouth lifting up.

Brad nods, biting his lip. "Can I ask you something?"

Taking out my keys, I nod. "Yeah, sure. What is it?"

"What's going on between you and Isaac? I like you, Noelle. I really do. But if you're interested in him, or unsure of how you feel about me, I'd really like to know." He confesses, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"I'm sorry, but I don't see you as anything more than a friend. I hope you can understand that."

He forces a smile, his shoulders slumping. "I kinda figured, still sucks to hear it out loud though." Brad chuckles, taking my hand in his. "I understand, we're gonna still hang out, right?"

"Obviously."

A look of relief appears on his face and I giggle softly, waving goodbye as he heads back to his car. Why is it that my life has to be so complicated? Opening the door to the house, I stuff the key back into my pocket. Closing the door behind me, I hear movement in the living room.

Making my way down the hall, I reach the opening to the living room and find Cathy curled up on the couch next to dad, his suitcase next to the coffee table. He's leaving today, he just got out earlier this afternoon? He never even discussed it with me..

"She's staying here?" I question.

They pry their eyes away from the television screen and my eyes begin to well up. Dad gets off of the couch and starts over in my direction, arms open. Backing away from him, I shake my head, unwilling to accept this.

"Honey listen, it's only for ninety days. I'll be back before you know it." He affirms, stepping closer to me. "Everything's going to be okay, alright? Cathy is gonna take good care of you, I'm sure the two of you are going to get along well!"

"You would think that, wouldn't you?" I sneer, pushing him away. "Did mom even know this woman, or was that a lie you told me to make me feel comfortable?!"

"She knew her, I'm not lying-"

"How do I know that?"

Cathy stands up, smoothing down her skirt. "Elle, I understand you're unhappy with this arrangement. I'd be upset if some woman I didn't know was going to appear in my life too, but trust me, everything is going to be fine."

"Everything is going to be fine."

"It'll all be good, you'll see!"

"You're all liars!" I holler, on the verge of tears.

Not giving them a chance to say another word I hurry out of the house. My legs begin to ache as I run past the car and down the street. It takes everything in me to keep from letting the tears slip down my cheeks. 

"I'm so sorry, honey

"I'm so sorry, honey."

"I-I'm gonna get help."

"I can't forgive you, you won't even fight for a chance to get better. You-"

"I'll try.. for you."

Aiming one of the rocks at the nearest tree, I throw it as hard as I can. The wind harshly blows against me and strands of hair sway in front of my eyes. Unwilling to force myself to move them away, I hug my knees to my chest and press my face against my thighs, searching for a warmth I'll never find out here in the cold.

It's like the whole world is conspiring against me, willing me to fail so that they can watch me wallow in my own pain and self pity, until I am nothing but flesh and bones. No longer a single soul comprised of multiple parts, but broken down into a million pieces that I can no longer recognize. Everyday I come to realize more and more that the greatest battle I will ever fight, is the one against myself?

Some days I don't know whether or not I am winning or losing.

The sound of leaves crunching draws my attention, emerging from the wooded area is Isaac. He puts his gun away and Isaac makes his way over, sitting down on the tree stump beside me. I pick at blades of grass, and toss them further away from me, out of rocks.

"What are you doing here?" He asks, looking down at me.

"Thinking, why are you here?"

"Same reason."

"About?"

Isaac sighs, "My entire life, Gavin, how the hell I got here in the first place. I've gotten into so much sh*t and somehow I'm still alive."

I frown, "What do you mean?"

"At fourteen I joined a gang, wanted to belong and be a part of a family. Get some sort of protection for my brother and I, since we were both out on the streets. Made some enemies, price of leaving a gang is death.. That's what the people who were shooting at us after. My death is what they wanted."

"I'm sorry you have to go through that."

"Nothing can be changed now, what's on your mind?"

I tell him everything, from the moment I met Catherine and up until now. For the first time in a while I feel heard, he doesn't judge me or try to advise me, all Isaac does while I'm telling my story is listen. That's all I need, that's all I want.

"I wish I could be of some help." He murmurs.

"You listened, that's what matters to me."

"Anytime."

___________

A/N

Thank you so much for reading this chapter, it really means a lot to
me! What do you guys think
of Isaac's past?

Can't wait to see all your comments and read all of your opinions.

Love you all.

( ˘ ³˘)❤