Chapter 6

Deception, Christina Grimmie

Quote;

Always live life in the moment,
Never let it pass you by.

Chapter 6.

     Staring at my phone, I clutch the pillow to my chest. I light the screen up again and again, a part of me just likes to see the old messages, to remind me of how things used to be before everything went South. Before that incident with..

     The words I'm sorry and I miss you pop up more than once. But so do the words, you're being unreasonable and stop acting like you've never screwed up before. I have made mistakes, but never this bad.

     "Noelle."

     I quickly lock my phone as Dad walks into my bedroom, his eyes roam the room for a moment before finally landing on me. He takes in a sharp breath, rubbing the back of his neck.

     "I was wrong for what I said," he utters with a sense of guilt. "But I did mean it when I told you that you are going to make it through this. You're so strong, just like your.."

     Dad wiped at his eyes, digging through his pocket, it takes a while but he finds what he was looking for, her wedding ring. He closes the gap between and places it in the palm of my hand. "She will always be with us, she'll always be with you."

     Staring at the wedding ring, a ghost of a smile appears on my face as I slip the ring onto my finger. She was strong, but ultimately all of that strength left her.. I will not let that happen to me.

     "Does this mean you're going to rehab, you're going to get the help you-"

     "I don't need rehab Noelle, I am okay. I have told you this so many times already." He reassures abruptly in a gravelly voice.

     "You do need it!" I snap, hopping off of the bed. "You're going to die, is that what you want? Cigarettes and alcohol, I'm surprised you haven't been fired!"

     "That's enough!" Dad bellows, his brows knitted together. "I don't need rehab, I can control my drinking and can stop at anytime I-"

     "Then why aren't you stopping?!" I hear myself scream, as I jab my finger into his chest. "Why are you doing this to yourself, to your own daughter?!"

     "Y-you will not talk to me like-"

     "You're no father!"

     I stumbled backwards rubbing my cheek, a stinging sensation making me realize what just happened,he actually hit me. I stared at him in disbelief, he looked stunned by his actions. I never thought for one second that my own father would ever think of putting his hands on me.

     "Noelle, I didn't mean to I-I would never intentionally — I am so-"

     "Please.. just go."

     "Elle-"

     "Just get out!"

     I watched him open and close his mouth, at a loss for words. A single tear trickled down his cheek as he examined my cold expression. I point towards the door and he slowly made his way over to it, as soon as he left, I slammed the door behind him.

     Walking over to the mirror, I stare at my throbbing cheek. Holding back the tears I glare at the girl staring at me. There are so many things wrong with her, from the way she couldn't save her mom, all down to the way she criticizes her grieving father.