Chapter 36

Rather Be, Nightcore

Quote;

In life we can't get everything we want,
We can let it destroy us or rise up.

Chapter 36.
       Isaac's POV.

"What you been doin' lately? I been locked up for the last couple years, oughta have something interestin' to tell me." Trevor inquires, slurping loudly on his drink.

I lean back in the chair, letting my eyes wander over all of the people around us. Funny how even when your life is falling apart, everything continues to go on as if hell hasn't been released. Life's funny like that.

Shrugging, I pick at my food. "Met this girl a while ago."

Trevor smacks the table, doubling over with dramatic amusement. He wipes the Pepsi away from his chin and he snorts, "Let's be real though, what girl saw somethin' in you?"

"Wow, thanks."

"Anytime, just lookin' out for you."

"Her name is Noelle, she's one of the most complicated people I've ever met." I inform, putting a piece of chicken into my mouth. "She's really something.. we're friends, sort of."

Trevor fiddles with his earring, staring at me suspiciously. "You for real? You met someone more difficult than you are? Hell must've frozen over."

"Ha ha, you're such a comedian."

"No, I'm being for real." Trevor responds, "But thanks for takin' notice." He winks, leaning forward slightly with a crooked smirk.

Rolling my eyes I go on to tell Trevor all about her, from the moment we met all the way up to now. Trevor's eyes sparkle with amusement as I recall the time she slapped me. He picks up his cup, slurping up the last of his drink before setting the cup back down on the table.

"So, when do I get to meet this Nicole?"

"Her name is Noelle, and I plan on stayin' away from her."

Trevor purses his lips, looking as though my words have left a bad taste in his mouth. "You one of them new dumbs, ain't ya?"

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"You just told me how you opened up to this chick, she saw and was there for you through Gavin's death. Now you gonna dump her?" He criticizes with a sigh of irritation. "Damn, and my social worker tell me I got problems."

The sound of laughter captures my attention and I turn to see Noelle and her friend Paige, walking over to a line of people ordering. Trevor follows my gaze and I turn to see a smirk on his face. I need to stop telling him things.

"The girl with the wrap on her head Naomi?"

"For the second time, her name is Noelle!" I retort. "And no, it's a hijab and her name is Heidi."

"A hi- what? Oh, them those religious head coverings."

Pinching the bridge of my nose, I nod slowly. "Yeah, okay."

He gets up with little care for my protests and strolls over to them. Biting the inside of my cheek, I watch as they interact. Trevor winks at me and gestures in my direction, and all three of them look in my direction.

Shyly, I wave and turn away from them. Bouncing my leg I stare my phone and then the empty container of food that belongs to Trevor. Seriously, I'm going to kill him.