Chapter 28

How To Save A Life, Nightcore

Quote;

In the toughest of times lean on those,
Who will let you lean upon them.

Chapter 28.

  Gavin being taken off life support didn't go about well. As soon as he stopped breathing Isaac shoved past the nurses, and stormed out of the room in a fit of rage. All I could do was stare after him, unsure of whether or not my presence would be comforting. After all I did play a part in convincing him that taking Gavin off life support was the best course of action.

I can't help but feel guilty..

The day after Gavin's death I go visit Isaac in order to check up on him. Knocking on Isaac's door, I'm greeted by the intoxicating smell of marijuana and booze. When I once again get no reply from knocking, I turn the doorknob to find that the door is already open.

Closing the door behind me it doesn't take long to notice that the place is trashed. Holes are in the walls and chairs are strewn across the floor. Stepping over one of them, I push the door to Isaac's bedroom open and peer inside.

"Hey-"

I pause, taking in the sight before me. His gun is on the nightstand followed by several zip lock bags filled with god-knows-what, spoons, a lighter, and several pill bottles all over the floor. The pillows are all over the place and there doesn't appear to be a single blanket in sight. This is not how it was the last time I was here..

"What are you doing here?" He sneers, scowling.

Frowning I enter the bedroom and kick aside one of the pill bottles. "Why I'm here doesn't matter, what do you think you're doing? Do you think this is what your brother would have wanted for you?"

"Don't bring Gavin into this!"

"You're better than this."

He scoffs, "You don't know anything about me. If it wasn't for Gavin we wouldn't even be speaking right now."

Well, he's not wrong..

I fold my arms across my chest, never breaking eye contact. "Look, you helped me when I was going through some stuff, alright? Now it's my turn to help you."

"I don't want your help." He barks, taking a pill bottle from the mattress. He empties the pills into his hand and I smack them away out of his hand, breathless with irritation.

"You are not going to stand here and take these in front of me, you got that?! I'm not losing anyone else!" I holler, taking him by surprise. "Now please, just lay down and I'm gonna clean up around here and yeah.."

I don't know whether or not it's because he's high, or just didn't want to be yelled at anymore. But he actually listened when I told him to lay down. Granted Isaac didn't stay down long, in a matter of minutes I could hear him in the bathroom, vomiting. Serves him right.

 Handing Isaac a glass of water, I sit down beside him

 Handing Isaac a glass of water, I sit down beside him. "How are you feeling now?"

He takes the glass from me, taking a large gulp. Isaac shrugs and wipes his mouth with the back of his hand, staring at the wall. "How'd I get to this point?"

"What are you talking about?"

Isaac lifts his hands and gestures to the area around him, "How'd I get here?"

Jumping as he slams the glass down onto the nightstand, Isaac pushes himself off the bed. Kicking his dresser he grips the edge of it, and he looks up, staring at the broken glass mirror in front of him. "How am I still alive and Gavin is no longer breathing?"

"It's not your fault.."

"I wish I could believe that."

He turns to face me, drawing in his lower lip between his bottom teeth. "Look, thanks for cleaning up around here and stuff but I don't want you to feel obligated to be here."

Getting off the bed, I hunk up my shoulders. "Maybe I want to be here."

Isaac walks towards me and stops short a few feet away, the corners of his mouth twitch and begin to awkwardly tilt up slightly. "Sorry you had to be around such a mess, I get the feeling you see stuff like this a lot though."

"Yeah, just not with drugs." I remark, looking everywhere but his face. "So uh, you never told me why the gun was out. Were you gonna.. you know."

He goes and sits back down on the bed, and I join him. "I was using because, it allows me to escape. I get to ignore everything that has been going on and just lose my mind for a bit, you know? The gun.. the gun was just there as a reminder that I have a way out when things get too much."

A way out.

"Isaac-"

"I don't want pity."

"Trust me, I ain't gonna give you any." I retort, "I just wanna say that Gavin loved you and he wouldn't want you to be using drugs and taking your life away. He wants you to be happy, even though he's not physically here to see it."

"He deserved better than the life I gave him."

"If you don't mind me asking, where are your parents?" I question, curiously. "I mean at the hospital they said you were his guardian, but with your records and the fact you are hardly of age that would mean that you would've had to forge-"

"That's not your business.."

"Right, right, sorry."

For a second our eyes meet and his cold exterior seems to melt away. I get another glimpse of the vulnerable boy behind the mask. The boy I got a good view of at the hospital. The boy who seemed to have had to grow up before he got the chance to enjoy himself. There really is more to a person than meets the eye..

 There really is more to a person than meets the eye

A/N

Thank you so much for reading this chapter, it really means a lot to
me! What do you guys think of Noelle and Isaac's weird friendship?

Can't wait to see all your comments and read all of your opinions.

Have a Glamerous day!

Love you all.

( ˘ ³˘)❤