Chapter 4

Worthless, Anna Clendening

Quote;

Lying to me is like fighting a current,
You can fight but I'll still bring
you under.

Chapter 4.

     "Am I supposed to feel bad?"

     "You punched me-"

     "Cry about it."

     Marcus clutches his side, a string of curse words passing his lips as he continues to glare at me. Several students passed us on their way to the parking lot, glancing curiously in our direction before walking off. Marcus continues to groan and I roll my eyes, I can't have possibly hit him hard. He should think twice now before sneaking up on me.

     "This all your fault, you know." I point out, waving my finger in his face.

     Heidi and Paige rush over to where Marcus and I are, but refrain from hugging him as they see the pain he is in. Heidi folds her arms across her chest, scowling up at me and then at Paige who seems to find the whole scene amusing. Marcus begins to straighten up a bit, hand rubbing the spot where I had hit him.

     Marcus opens his mouth, no doubt about to scold me, when Heidi throws her arms around his neck. His ears begin to turn a bright red against his pale skin as he slowly returns her embrace. I nudge Paige and we exchange a knowing look, Marcus, noticing our faces, pulls away from Heidi almost instantly.

     His face was completely red and Heidi, although she can't blush, looks quite embarrassed herself. She kicks at the ground, tucking her hands into her pockets as an awkward silence fills our group. Paige's kissing noises don't particularly help the situation either.

     I clear my throat, scratching the back of my neck uncomfortably. "So um, I thought you weren't going to be back for a few days. At least that's what Heidi told me."

     "We arrived back sooner than I thought. You sound a bit disappointed about that." He teases, placing a hand over his heart in mock distress. "Remind me later never to sneak up on you by the way, chalk it up as a valuable lesson learned."

     Chuckling I place my arm around him, squeezing his shoulder gently. Heidi glances at me and then my hand on Marcus's shoulder, her eyes flickering between the two of us. Her eyes practically bore into the side of my head as I remove my arm, refusing to meet her gaze.

     "So.. do I have a lot of homework to catch up on? Or am I off the hook?" Marcus questions, seemingly unaware of the growing tension.

     "Ha, tú deseas!" Paige laughs, "We got tons of homework over the last couple weeks, I almost feel sorry for you. Then again we had to go through it, so I don't feel too bad. Well 'cept Noelle, she got a couple different teachers from us. Perra afortunada."

     Marcus heaves a loud, dramatic sigh before the corner of his mouth tilts up, a hopeful expression working its way onto his face. "Okay.. so I was thinking-"

     "That never goes well."

     He extends his middle finger in my direction before continuing, "One of you should help me out a bit and I don't know.. be my study buddy?"

     "I have a lot of things to do-"

     "My Dad has been going through a lot-"

     Paige shrugs when Marcus turns to her, "I just don't want to."