Chapter 14

Beautiful Pain, Alec Benjamin

Quote;

People cover their pain and hurt,
With the sounds of their own laughter.

Chapter 14.

Scrambling to pick up the pieces of glass off the floor, I make sure Dad is covered before heading up the stairs to do homework. Sitting down on the bed, I dig around in my backpack for my notebooks. The vibration from my phone, pulls my attention away from the task at hand.

I pull it out of my pocket and frown, unknown number. Pressing decline, I set the phone beside me, only to hear my phone vibrate once again. This time, I answer.

"Who is-"

"H-Hi Noelle!" Gavin chirps, "Y-you co-coming to see me?"

Unable to stop myself from smiling, I shake my head. "How'd you get my number?"

"Wh-when you went to t-the bathroom I got it. I-I want you to visit me at the h-hos-hospital."

Hospital?

"He is s-sensitive when what m-my cancer is d-do-doing to me is brought up." Stupid me called his stuttering a quirk. No wonder Isaac got so upset with me. But that doesn't excuse the things he said earlier..

"Why are you in the hospital?"

"S-s-sei.. I don't know how to say the word right."

I bite my lip, fiddling with the sleeve of my jacket. "I don't think your brother will appreciate me being there."

"Sooo?"

"Sooo, I don't think I should come."

"Bu- uh oh, he's c-coming back!" He whispers loudly, "I'm at St. Louis, just in case you ch-change your mind."

Gavin hangs up and I lock my phone, rubbing at my eyes. There's no way I am going to see him. Isaac and I don't get along as it is, it wouldn't be right for me to just pop up.

As much as I tell myself this, it does no good. Within ten minutes I am out the house and driving to St. Louis to see Gavin. I just hope that when I get there an argument won't ensue.

Turning onto Jefferson street, I travel further down the road. After ten minutes I pull into the hospital parking lot. Aimlessly driving around, I eventually find a parking space.

Once making it into the hospital, I request Gavin William's room. After much convincing, more like lying, I am given the room number. With some difficulty, I eventually find the room.

Slowly opening the door, I peek inside. Gavin's eyes dart from the small television to me in an instant. His eyes light up and I take in the tragic sight before me. There's an IV in his arm and bags under his eyes, which despite how weak he appears, his eyes remain lively.

Rushing to his side, I grab hold of his hand. Gavin leans his head against my arm, a weak smile tugging at the edge of his lips. He looked fine last time I saw him..

"How long have you been here?"

Gavin lifts his head, giving my hand a weak squeeze. "T-two days, I can go ho-home tomorrow m-m-morning."

"Why'd you come?"

"I-I fainted." He responds, patting the spot next to him on the bed.