Chapter 37: The Colbys

Connor's POV:

So before I knew it, two years had rolled by. Everything about Guinevere and I was perfect and I had decided that in November I would propose. I couldn't leave it any longer! But it had to be perfect. Anything but impeccable just wasn't going to be worth it.

For the months that I had been planning it, I decided to do it on the fifth, her favourite holiday of the year - Bonfire night. Hopefully this time it wouldn't rain. Guy Fawkes hadn't intended the holiday for us but now it seemed to be the only holiday which seemed special. Just for us. I was just about to make her love it even more. Sanguinely...

It would however help if I hadn't left asking for her parents' permission until the day that I was going to propose. As always I was unprepared but that's Connor Mylne for you.

No nerves. I hadn't been scared about asking for their permission. Not until now anyway. My parents were fine with it and after I mentioned what I saw on her text to Matthew a few days after reuniting, my father told me that I was stupid to not do so. My mother asked every single question about what I was planning on doing so I gave her a half-arsed explanation before being ushered out of the door. I wanted to do everything by the book this time...

***

I had already been there for little under half an hour with a cup of coffee and a biscuit when I shuddered at the thought that now was enough for the conversation to just be casual. I had to ask them. Now or never.

Shauna lent forward and placed her hand on mine, "The last time I saw you was five years ago on Bonfire night. So today, but five years ago! That's ironic don't you think honey?" she cachinnated to her husband, leaning back.

Her husband grinned but didn't join in with her laughter, "Ah well, yes dear. It is quite strange that isn't it? Surprised he came back with how you reacted that night."

I nodded at Lance's response and took another biscuit from the selection in the centre of the table, feeling super uncomfortable.

His wife shot him a look as if to say that he wasn't meant to speak about her in such ways. Pretending I hadn't seen it was actually fairly straightforward.

Lance and his wife returned to holding hands between their individual cups of coffee. I think that I was meant to speak but I was too worried about asking them about marrying their daughter. I knew that I should have been round to visit them in person before now. Phone calls were as close as I got and even those were few and far between with Gwen's family.

"You know something boy?" Lance questioned sitting upright, combing out his moustache, "I remember when I first met you. Got you confused with Travis Bullington didn't I?" He scoffed and turned to his wife she widened her eyes and then softened them when looking back to me.

She half smiled, "He was a foul brute of a man! Thankfully your back. I don't think Guinevere would have felt confident enough to see us again if you hadn't. Oh she is so damaged. The poor thing." I wanted to protest. Tell Shauna that Gwen wasn't 'damaged' but instead I just nodded. There was no point in trying to argue with them.

There was then an amateurish silence. Like the kind you only get in movies. It started with the innocent looking at one another. Then realising that no one is speaking or about to speak. You all instinctively turn away. Then you sip your drink through the silence. The slurps being the only sound you can hear. Awkward...

Imperturbably, I inhaled.

"Mr and Mrs Colby, I need to ask you both a really substantial question, I cannot hold it off any longer." I declared exchanging a glance between the pair, who were now blatantly staring as if that is adequate.

Lance straightened his posture, "what do you need to say son?" the term 'son' had me taken back slightly, "Go on then Connor spit it out," he added reminding me of Robert.

"Well tonight is Bonfire night and I am taking Gwen down to Brooshind field so that we can watch the fireworks together and then-" I paused for a mini-second considering how to put it into words.

"Ah, she'll really like that," Shauna reassured me before looking to her husband who was aware that I hadn't finished and just softened his glance on me.

"With your permission." I took a breath, "I would like to propose to your daughter," they both gleamed at me. I wanted to make sure that they were okay with it though, "I want to ask her to marry me and I... I have the ring, if you'd...." Like a clown I couldn't even get the words out as I stuttered vigorously.

"Well I be damned!" Lance began before sitting back in his chair laughing gently. Did he think it was a joke?

Taken aback once more, "Mr and Mrs Colby, I have loved your daughter for many years and even when I first met her I thought highly of her. I want her to be mine. Not as a possession like Travis treated her. But as my wife. To have her know that I will never leave her and that I truly care for her no matter what happens 'in sickness and in health. For better or for worse'. She deserves to be loved by someone who is willing to not only give their name to her but to give her everything that they can offer - I do love her more than I ever thought humanly possible and I just want to see if you would give me your permission to..." I was cut off.

"Well son, I was bloody thinking you were never going to!" The man jolted.

Shauna was in tears, I assumed that it was from euphoria.

"Right then," her farther spoke lifting himself from the chair, "before you go see her about tonight-"

"You better well go ask her brother if he is okay with this." His wife, Shauna finished for him through gasps without even moving her eyes off of me. I thought it was sweet that she knew what he was thinking and how she felt the need to say it for him even though I had made her cry but then I realised something.

The realisation was that now I had to go speak to a man whose reaction might change dependant on how I played my cards: and on how drunk I could get him....

Time to go pay Rob Colby a quick visit.