Chapter 19: Promise ring or Honesty ring?

"Oh, Connor?" my mother called from the front room as soon as I entered the door. "Yes mum?" I asked. Not that she answered. As pure usual.

Tossing my crap on the floor I made my way to the lounge and pocked my head through the open door, "Yeah?" she was sprawled out with half a glass of white wine held between her fingers. Classic joggers and green tee holding a small packet in her right hand. Staring at the TV like it was the best damn thing that her eyes had ever seen. She scoffed as her gaze met mine, "Here. Something to cheer you up. That thing you ordered a while back". She threw it in my direction and by some godforsaken miracle I caught it. At first forgetting what it was, "Thanks," I mumbled. Heading up to my room.

It wasn't much smaller than my hand, sealed in a white envelope shape with bubble wrap on the inside. It took me a second but I soon came to realise when I had ordered it, what it was and who it was for. The one who came and went as she pleased through my mind.

Gwen.

The day when Greg foolishly persuaded me to ask her out I had been so certain that I wanted to be with her for the rest of my life. I had done a bunch of research into things which I could get for her. It just so happened that I stumbled across the idea of promise rings. This led to me to buying a pair that I found on Amazon, they didn't cost a fortune but they were still elegant and meaningful. One for myself and the other for her. Even though our last encounter was left on bad terms, this made me remember the reasons why I loved her and how she felt for me. It brought a pleasant glow to my cheeks and a recalcitrant grin between them.

With both hands I caressed the material, the rubbing sound of bubble wrap from inside. "For Christ sake." I muttered as the guilt came back to me once more. If I kept them then I would always be reminded that I didn't try to keep her. However I, at the same time couldn't face her; I didn't know what could happen. I doubted that it would lead anywhere. As I told Greg and I knew fully well myself, she was in a relationship now. Perhaps this gift would at least keep us together as friends. Maybe?

Parading across my room like a circus freak I shoved my hair away from my eyes pondering intensely. Who could I ask to give it to her without too many questions being asked?

Three people came to mind. The first being Greg, he could take it when he took Bella for a walk: this might be tricky though because he would have to either post it through the door and her parents might find it or he would have to knock on the door and ask to see her and not blab about it to whoever answered the door. Yep, that crossed suspect one from the list.

Second person to consider was Johnathan. He mentioned in passing that he would love to play my wingman and I know how repulsed of Bullington he was. Having said that he was probably already battling my case for me with Gwen at school. If I asked him it would be fairly complicated and she mightn't take him seriously because she would be able to walk away as soon as she found out that it was from me.

Looks like I had to go for the third option then. Robert Colby. Taking off from my room I went to my mother's. She had a full length mirror and I needed to see how presentable (or how unpresentable) I looked. Seeing my ghastly uniform, I took off my tie and unbuttoned my shirt, quick sniff of the pits and I almost vomited, I did not smell too great. Taking out my phone I thought about what I should say, sod it. Keep it simple.

'Connor: Hey Rob, I need a favour come see me ASAP?'

Robert seemed to like me, the three year age gap made me more terrified of the guy than it should have but I knew that he thought I was good for his little sister. He would be able to give it to her and tell me anything that happened. It just happened to be a plus that he drove his own car and could get here quickly if I were able to convince him to.

'Rob: Yeah sure. No problem. What is it?' he text back almost instantly. Seeing his text I resumed getting changed as I replied.

'Connor: just meet me at mine in 5 minutes please?'

'Rob: roger that!'

***

From afar it must have looked like some sort of drug deal. He had pulled up in the driveway as I handed him the packet returning my hands to my jacket pocket with the hood up. Trying to keep warm.

"What's this for then? I'd rather not be your valentine and besides it's a bit late for that Con" he chuckled trying to make out what was written on the ripped address detail sticker.

I didn't know what to say, "It was something I was going to give to your sister" I explained not knowing if I could continue.

He placed it on the passenger seat as he laid back in his seat, one arm draped across the wheel as if it were cool or he was in a noughties music video. He pouted slightly, "so you want me to give it to her?" he asked. In response, I nodded. It took a moment but he then replied, "course I will but uh, not to pry or anything but why won't you-"

"She won't really, uh talk to me"

"What did you do? Reject her when she asked you out?" he chuckled before seeing my face drop like a fat man's six pack, "whoa mate what happened you don't look so fun."

Before I could speak he had pointed to the seat next to him, "Get in". Would he make me go speak to her? "Come on," he insisted, "you might freeze to death or something if you stand there any longer".

I opened the door and got in moving the present onto the front of the dash board. I cleared my breath, "I was going to ask her out but she is already with someone and well I got mad and scared her basically," he raised an eyebrow waiting for me to continue, "I've never done anything like that to anyone, I don't know why I even did it. I guess that just because Bullington did it-"

"Wait, Travis Bullington?" Robert gritted. Almost making a heavy grr sound.

How did I never make that connection before? Travis and Bullington were the same person! At least I knew the dickhead's full name now. I nodded.

Hands clinging to the wheel in rage, "I swear to god!" he then hit the horn and panted.

"So you know that he's bad?"

"This is the second time around." He face palmed so hard it made the car shake, "why am I so stupid?! That's where the bruises are from! God, she lied to me again!" he bit down on his lip so hard that it drew blood. "She knows that he is wrong. She won't tell the guy to fuck off already!" He spat violently.

"Why did she keep it from you?" I asked, my heart thumping unevenly.

He threw his head back, "She knows how I feel about it. Gwen knows that I'll try to stop it, so would Jono and the rest. "

I couldn't stop what came next, "Does she love him?"

"What?" he asked as if I spoke in a foreign language still looking at the car ceiling.

"Does she love him?" I repeated in a flat tone.

He lowered his head before turning to me with the uttermost caution. Almost through a whisper, "Travis Bullington was her first boyfriend. Even though he is abusive and has done many wrong things to her. Guinevere can't seem to let him go. She broke up with him but whenever he wanted something she would just give in like a broken bridge. When I took you guys to that party I hoped that maybe- well basically - The last time I saw you was when I drove you home, I seriously thought that she would want to be with you. She even told me that she did. And she told me that she would ask you out but-"

"She lets him control her?"

"Yeah," he replied, "she doesn't know how to stop him and she won't let anyone else do it for her. That's why she kept it from me. Probably from Johnathan and the others too".

Now I felt bad. I felt awful! Not only had I done something which Travis had but I also had left it so long to find out the truth.

I then remembered the last thing she said to me, 'I wasn't with him by choice' oh no...

What had I done?