Chapter 17: Not by choice

The smile ripped from my face like a plaster which had been superglued on and let to cement for at least a millennium.

My heart was a frozen fire. Even Noah could deal with the floods better than I could right then. In that moment of isolation, I gazed at the pair with my eyes wide and toxic tears pleading for an answer. A reason!

I had known Gwen for less than a year, sure. But that doesn't mean that this psychopath could come into our world and steal her from me. I had only encountered this pervert once at that party and even that was enough for me, he was horrid and evil truly worse than Satan. She was not the kind of innocent wall flower which you would expect to see with such a brute. It was either the roaring fire in my chest or the flames which rose around me but something made me stay at a distance just to endure the torment.

She was looking towards him as his eyes were narrowed, the mark on his face still there after so long – faded of course. You would have to be looking for it to notice it but sure enough he would have that imprint for life. He lowered down to her as if he were a mighty king and she just a peasant. They paused the conversation they were in as he forcefully turned her towards him. All that I could see was his caliginous eyes. His artramentous fucking face!

I counted that he licked his lips twice like some rabid animal whilst eyeing her. I couldn't make out what he was saying but I knew that it was the same unhuman quality which had lead Gwen to become like this. For a moment he stared at her and even though he repulsed me I made sure to stay back before I started a fight; before I could make a scene. Throwing himself at her in an embrace my Guinevere was hesitant to hug back and when she finally did she shuddered. He backed off from her and turned away, she like myself – stood very still watching him walk. Approximately two steps later he looked back over his shoulder and ran the top shaft of teeth over his bottom ones. He looked her up and down then took off down one of the side streets.

I don't even understand what happened.

But it meant that she was now alone. For once no one was around. Literally no one. Just us. I foolishly prided my left leg forward and to no avail did it shift. The last tear fled from my eyes as I stood to see her next move. Gwen turned towards me (not yet noticing me) her eyes red and puffy as if she had been crying. I felt no sympathy for her. Not this time.

She exhaled out and clawed at her head, rolled her lips inward and licked her lips before holding her head upward to the sky; blinking several times. Disallowing herself to laminate. Running her hand on her neck she groaned as if in pain. Steadied herself and then started walking towards me, rubbing her eyes and trying to shake off whatever the hell just happened. Not that I knew of course, but she certainly did.

"Connor?" she choked noticing me. I stepped forward as did she, her eyes lightened and the devilsom smile slithered synthetically back onto her lips. My mouth was held tight and I was scowling but she didn't seem to notice. I walked uneasily as I was now fuming, I wasn't sad and the anger wasn't just that anymore – it was hatred and jealousy. Gwen reached me, "Oh Connor, your early!" she said in a somewhat happy tone, she slung herself at me and burrowed her head into my chest as she hugged me like she did that night at the party. Clinging to me tightly, the way I had dreamt of so many times before. This time though, I didn't hug her back...

Repulsed, I remained still. Disgusted by the filth. "Let go," I breathed nonchalantly.

At first she didn't move. I furrowed my nose. "Gwen. Get off of me. Now." I ordered.

At this, Gwen did.

She studied my eyes, trying to understand me. That would be very difficult giving the current situation. Her chest was rising and falling heavily and she stuttered at her words, "Connor, what's- what have I?"