Chapter 23: She's just a girl

'I need to move on. You do too.' They were my own words so why did they hurt so much?

Even though it was me who had said those words; I knew so much that they were true but it was hard to comprehend that I would never see her again. I had never had a girlfriend. The one chance I had, I just blew it.

Unlike the last time, I didn't cry.

About two weeks after I was at lunch with a couple mates. They were playing 'shag, marry,  kill' checking out the girls on the table across from us. It annoyed me so much because the tubby blue shirt guy, Hector, had a crush on one of them. Her name was Heather, they fancied each other and no one was in there way. No one was the reason to keep them apart and even though they liked each other they wouldn't do anything about it!

"So then Hector, any reason why you'd rather marry Heather. Rather than just shag her?" scrawniest lad on the table, Jake teased.

"Oh yeah!" Hector laughed.

"What is it then mate? Come on we're dying to know why!" Joe taunted.

They all (including Greg) made drum noises and knocked into him until he answered. With an enormous grin, "If I marry her then I can shag her any time I like!"

"Whoa dude!" Jake choked hitting his mate on the arm as part of his blueberry muffin flew like superman to the girl's table.

"Ahhhhhh"

"Eh my!"

"Ew!" 

"What the hell you pig!" the girls screamed as it landed smack bang in the middle their table.

Erupting into further laughter, he went bright red, Hector went to give him a glass of water but the other lads threw it on him instead clearly knowing the choking wasn't all too serious.

Once recovered, Jake spluttered "Oh that was so funny".

The lads finished eating their half empty plates. Cramming the gravy soaked substance into their mouths. As he was the first to finish Greg shot up, "I call dibs on not taking the trays". He out pushed the tray of the other side of the table.

I was sat at the end, the only boy without someone opposite from me. I hadn't ate much of my lunch – I was usually first to finish - unlike the rest I opted for a cold meal and a drink. I was head in my hands swirling thee glass around with a straw. They weren't leaving me out, I just didn't want to be part of it.

"Urg!" Hector sat up, wiping his chops clean of the sauce which dribbled down his jaw. "Yeah not me either!"

Looking up still with food in his gob, Joe spluttered, "Looks like it'll be you Jake".

Jake crossed his knife and folk with a smug expression towards Joe without even saying it but giving that face of 'I win'. He turned to the others, "Okay so who's next?"

Hector looked at me, about to mention that I hadn't been when Greg jumped in. "Alright my turn," he voiced. 

As Joe finished off the rest of his dinner, he struggled onto his feet with the rest of their trays stacked against his.  I dumped mine on top, "Give me half." I ordered "I'll help you if you want?" with a shocked expression he nodded, "See guys, at least Connor will help me".

As we took away the trays, I heard the tail-end of what they were saying,

"Okay so Greg, shag, marry and kill. Um, Josie from tutor-"

"Dude at least give me one could choice!"

"What you don't think she's hot?" The two lads groaned as Jake shrugged, "Fine. Josie, Sophie and what other girl should we pick?"