Chapter 11: my work as cupid

"Well that's just what you'll do isn't it?!" those words cut like a knife...

I ponded home. Called Greg twice before caving in. Obviously he was too busy shagging the neighbour's dog to bloody answer his phone!

Baffled. Bewildered. Befuddled. Confused about her and what had just happened, I remember balling into the pillow on my bed. Burrowing like some hopeless mole at the hope of falling to the edge of the world where all my problems would be no more.

I hadn't realised how loudly I was crying until I felt the vibration of my phone from my trouser pocket, it took me a second to pause my muffled weeps when I was able to make out that it was in fact my phone ringing. The volume was on but through the endless sobbing I hadn't been able to hear it clearly. Rolling to my front I wastefully attempted to suck it up like a big boy whilst needlessly clinging to my pillow like she once had to me.

"Why didn't you answer when I rung you?" I questioned sternly, the words stringing like a rotting web cast by a demon spider.

A coughing voice began, "ah well you see Connor, Bella and I were-"

"I don't give an F about that!"

"Oh well that is awfully rude Connor," he was clearly taken back slightly.

"look mate," I said gulping back the floods, "it's Gwen she-" I then just broke down in tears and didn't even hang up the phone when I rolled back and forth like some beaten child.

***

Springing open my eyes, met by the blackened rays of daylight lapping through the window. From downstairs (or so that's where I assumed it was from) I could hear Greg's voice. Some kind of messed up knight in shining armour. Only briefly, could I hear him speaking with my mother: too muffled to understand completely what they were saying. Sniffing up the remains of leakage from my nose, the scene of Gwen saying those things, looking at me in that way and allowing herself to walk away replaying over and over again like a twisted day dream. With the moving screen behind my eyes, I just silently screamed towards the door.

Within seconds he had burst through it, "Connor, oh no. tell me what happened!" He came over to me and lent over hugging me tightly, I normally wasn't fond of his hugs but right now it was well needed. Rapidly blinking to avoid more crying (this didn't work might I add,) I moved backward on the bed. Telling him what had happened, he said nothing. Falling once more into his embrace a slight pat on the back and the words, "well I'm here for you" comforted me slightly. I looked up from his wet shoulder smothered in my tears. Almost like a sixth sense I knew there was someone else in the room.

By the door stood my mother. Half smile on hold, mouthing "Are you alright?" Greg released me from his grasp gazing into my eyes before realising that my mum was standing there. I looked to the space between my fingers "No" I quivered. They both covered me in love so easily, just as Gwen had so quickly taken hers away...

"Alright," my mother breathed, "Greg told me it's about that girl, Gwen. Am I right in thinking that?" she stood with her hands playfully on her hips. Greg turned to me and smiled, "she wouldn't let me see you unless I told her what I knew- which was very little at the time."

I half laughed realising that I hadn't even hung up on him earlier when he rang. We both shifted our glance onto my mother whose face was in a pout, "well bros before hoes aren't I right? Oh wait that's only if your friends isn't it?" I didn't understand what she meant, neither had Greg who at this time ad thrown his arm around my shoulder. "I mean," she smirked, "you too practically go out anyway. It's cute having a gay son".

"I'm not gay," I roared. "Greg and I, no offence mate. We do not go out."

She gawked at Greg and patted his head as if he were some lap dog, "It's alright he might admit his affection for you one day". Greg nodded as if it was the correct response. It wasn't!