Chapter 34: Knight in shining armour

Cringe, I know! But it was true, she looked amazing. Still the same as she did all those years back, just without the bright lipstick colour now replaced by a drab nude. Departing the shop, II just couldn't keep my eyes away from her, a north to a south magnet. I drawled her into conversation about myself and how I would still think about her sometimes but tried not to make myself look like a stalker. She nodded occasionally but kept herself persistently reserved whenever I tried to ask about her and what she had been up to since we last spoke. That wasn't like Gwen. Once she was so outgoing but here she stood a shell of herself, a capsule left empty. I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Whatever she was hiding clearly made her aware of everything she did or said. Regardless, I still felt deeply for her and was thankful for seeing her again.

We pulled up at my car as I insisted on keeping her for longer. Gwen was polite and half smiled at my cheesy moves. I leant against it trying to look cool even though I was far from it. When eventually, the small talk dropped I reached for her cheek but instantly realised that she was still with him as far as I was aware. Not that she'd ever be able to leave him, I'd tried to get her too before and he won anyway.

"Ah, sorry," I awkwardly chuckled scratching my neck.

"For what?" she asked faintly looking just past me.

I bit my lip and looked up at her. How was I to say it? What if Travis was already watching from somewhere nearby? Just waiting to pounce on me and give me a matching imprint to the face, allow be it two sizes larger.

I met her eye and softened my tone trying not to sound jealous, "Well I haven't been out with anyone because all that I've done since the day I met you was wish that I could be with you. You have always been what I wanted. I thought you felt the same. Just, you wouldn't get rid of that flagitious Bullington regardless of the fact that everyone with a brain understands that he acts odiously, even to you he was iniquitous! I mean Christ, he atrociously abused you as if you were some toy of his. But you didn't let us help you."

She didn't react.

For a few moments I wondered if she had even heard me, or if I had been too insensitive - I didn't want this to be all about me telling her off it's just that I felt indomitably about this.

Maybe she didn't understand my intention. Shit, I had to say something else, something cordial to break the silence; else I'd look like an utter jerk. But what?

Gwen's POV

Did he mean what he just said? The way he displayed such affection and empathy toward me, did he intend to? If he did then it meant that he was still the same old Connor and that he properly still had feelings for me, as I had for him. I stood waiting for him to speak again but alas, he didn't.

I kept my distance afraid still of men, Matthew had helped sure but since Travis I forgot how to act in situations like these.

I moved from in front of him to his side, leaning against his scrap metal car. I looked to the ground afraid to tell him the whole truth. But I knew I had to tell him something even if it was just about Travis no longer being my boyfriend. I doubt he would even believe me. I took a breath and held it like burning coal, "I'm not with him," I shook inaudibly.

"You what?" he questioned, voice raised but not harsh.

His eyes burnt into me, "I'm... single." I paused finally admitting it, even to myself.

"But what about that fucking arsehole who had you wrapped around his finger?" Connor snapped instinctively without realising himself. A rocket launching forward ready for attack.

I shrugged knowing how foolish it was.

My mind shot back to the same image, the memory I wanted to hide from myself. The day when I told Travis that I was pregnant with his child. The way he looked me up and down as if I was no longer worthy of him. His bitter snarl as he responded to my idiotically jubilant speech about the treasure which we brought into the world by pure surprise. I still remember what he said. I can't forget it. But I won't repeat it. At least not yet. I can't! Not even if it helped you understand. If it wasn't for Taylor, Travis would still have me as his possession and I would have...

"Guinevere!" My head was lifted from my cheek by Connor's caring hand. I saw his face, puzzled, confused and melancholy.

I felt myself tear at the affection from him, "Sorry, I-"

Before I could even continue, he tore me from the spot and enveloped me in his arms, "It's okay Guinevere," his voice sung into my shoulder. My arms wrapped around him knowing that I was safe with him. I pulled back hesitantly and dug up the courage to say what I needed him to know.

"Thank you". I told him.

"What for?" he asked with a smile the size of the moon.

I giggled feeling at last like a little girl again rather than a grieving mother, "Rescuing me again."

"Do I get to keep you this time my princess?" he questioned eagerly.

Without meeting his gaze, "If you're my knight in shining armour then I guess so, yes."

His hand grasped on mine, squeezing it tightly in his palm. I didn't dare look at him but I knew that he too was blushing; he always did. His free hand made its way onto mine, it was too much for me to take in. with a whisper, "Gwen." My eyes raised up from the floor, "I love you Gwen".

Gulping, I nodded. I hadn't expected for him to say that.

I could see his eyes beginning to water from the corner of my eye and felt another tug at my heartstrings as I gripped on his hand wishing that it had always been this way, "Gwen," he pestered, "I have always loved you. I will always love--- Please just go out with me, if you say no then I will hate you forever". He chuckled trying to keep it fun.

"How could I say no?" I questioned him sportively.

A tear drop danced down his cheek, "Oh fuck sake!" he exclaimed at himself taking back his hands to wipe his eyes, "Gwen you have no idea how many times I wanted for you to be mine. To be my girlfriend!"

He sniffed in and rested his hand on the handle of the car, "Connor, the knight in shining armour always gets the girl." I told him softly.

"So?" he inquired, a sunshine radiating from his jaw.

"Yes." I told him finally giving into his delicate eyes.

"Oh, 'yes'. She finally said yes!" he exploded in front of me. Bro fisting the air in a childlike manner, "Oh my word! You're my girlfriend." Connor directed it at me but clearly said it to reassure himself.

I was solitary so long but maybe he had been too.

At least now, he could give me a second chance at love.

We were no longer alone.