Chapter 6: Meeting her brother

"So let me get this correct Connor, if I may?" Greg questioned looking up at the ceiling as if somewhere in mid thought (highly unlikely, the boy was a child, unable to be focused for more than a minute).

Leaning in toward my bedroom mirror, I ran the comb back through my hair again keeping his figure in the corner of my eye. He shuffled about on the bed, repositioning himself for the one hundred time before realising that I was now eyeballing him. To this he gave full attention, "Guinevere asked you and I to assist her to a party because she doesn't want to go alone?" I finished adjusting my hair – paying little attention to his train of thought- I simply flipped off his question.

In all honesty I didn't know why she had asked, but it seemed rather odd as it was so random. There was probably a reason which she was covering up.

Once I'd ensured that my hair was just right, I received a text from Gwen.

"Hey Connor, my brother and I are ready if you want us to pick you up now rather than you coming here first? Xx"

I sent back, "yeah please J xx" and then relaxed slightly. If it had been her parents taking us it'd have been awkward.

***

So there I was, climbing into the back seat of her brother's car with Greg following close behind me. This guy, maybe a few years older than myself hadn't even spoke to me yet and I already felt intimidated, maybe something to do with the swanky ride. "So which one of you is uh, Connor?" He questioned looking back over his shoulder as we shut the door. Adjusting in her seat to turn to face us Gwen started, "Oh that's Connor" gesturing toward me as I settle down, "and this is Greg." The same soft smile sat on her face as she finishes. "You look stunning Connor, love the hair by the way." Raising a brow at the sudden compliment I stuttered a super lame response which made me turn red. "You-You too". From the second the words left my mouth I wish I'd just said thank you, what am idiot I made myself look! The driver burst out laughing as he started up the car and Gwen settled back down into her seat. Greg turned to me with a half reassuring expression.

Within seconds Gwen turned to face her brother, "Robert! I's not nice of you to laugh." I didn't understand what she was defending me for, in all honesty I agreed with him.

Letting out a breath Robert lightened up, "Just thought it's the guy who is meant to compliment the girl. Especially considering how long you took to get ready". I then realised that I hadn't even looked at her properly. The makeup was same as always but with that contour stuff and wings on the eyes, her nose seemed smaller as well – probably some make-up ritual. Other than that and the fact that her hair was up I hadn't really taken in what she looked like. The dress was a yellow colour which I normally found repulsive but on her skin tone it looked stunning. Actually she looked a bit like a model - she had no jacket on and it meant that her buff arms were exposed, she clearly didn't have that naturally. I knew that she did sports because she had mentioned it before but this was the first time I'd seen her in none-uniform.

Gwen grabbed a mirror from her bag and was adjusting the bits of hair that shaped around her face. Wow.

I then remembered the way in which she held my hand earlier... I hadn't spoken to her since and I doubt that she would even bring it up – I'd have to be alone with her at some point if I was going to. But with this clingy child, Greg latching onto me I would have no chance.

I hadn't even noticed the low playing music or strong smell of perfume radiating from her voluptuous body when I fixed my eyes on her. Under my breath I heard my thoughts dribble out, "I didn't think she could get more beautiful". I then shut my mouth instantly and looked up to her to see if she had heard me. Her eyes met mine in the reflection of the hand mirror. Briefly, I saw her grin slightly before moving away.

The guys hadn't even heard me and were fixated on the road ahead. Probably for the best...

***

It wasn't long until the car brought us up a side street and Robert pulled up where Gwen said, "Just here Rob." pointing to where these two girls are stood waving. Like a champ, Robert swiftly glided the car in with no effort at all making it look as easy as breathing. Even from inside the car I could hear them calling her name- she turned to Robert and thanked him for the life then asked, "Are you still giving us a ride home after?" he stretched his arms in front of the wheel yawning as he replied, "yeah just call me before you leave". With a quick nod Gwen jumped out to hug the first girl who almost got hit by the car door.

Greg and I awkwardly thanked Rob as he looked at us.

Greg hopped out of his door and onto the pavement. Just as I bum shuffled over to Greg's seat about to leave, Rob called my name. I loosened my grip on the door handle, "Yep?" his face was softer somehow, as if he had been thinking about what he was meant to say right now. He took two attempts before he said anything, "I just wanted to say thanks for being here for Gwen. Not just now but these past few months or whatever. Before you she was with a guy who isn't any good for her." I breathed out realising that he had clearly gotten the wrong end of the situation. "Oh we don't go out".

Curling his upper lip, "I know that Con. It's just I know how much you mean to her, all her friends bombard me if I now anything but she hides like a child. It's just that you-"

Tapping on the glass of the passenger window, Gwen gave Rob a dark glare as he slowly rolled it down. "Yes?" he asked – practically as if he hadn't said what he just did.

"If you two are done your conversation Greg and I are waiting". She didn't move her eyes from him. Rob turned to me and gestured me towards them. I got out only for Greg to attach onto me. A tad too friendly. Rob nodded at me as the car pulled away. I looked over at Guinevere who had already started moving toward the house.

'It's just, I know how much you mean to her' what had he meant? We were good friends by now I guess but we didn't spend much time together, once a week at hers or mine on the rare occasion sure, but we weren't close. 'I know how much you mean to her' she had just gotten out of a relationship I could gather from what he had said but she wasn't sad about it so why did he tell me this? Why did I mean so much to her? Why was I invited here tonight?