Chapter 13: That first November night

It was the first conversation we had had in weeks! Something about it just made me jubilant. As if asking about what happened before was completely out of the question, it would just put an unwanted dampening on things.

I was currently standing underneath her bedroom window staring up at it. As the forecast had very rightly predicted, it had started slinging it down. Full on slinging cats and dogs since the moment I turned down the second street from mine. I had a jacket on sure enough but no hood and by this stage I was absolutely soaked. I think one firework went off in that time and it was abysmal, surprised it even lit to be honest. As I stood there like some pervert in their backyard (I even had to climb over the fence just so that I could surprise her) the down pour of floodwater just didn't affect me. The anticipation of her window just miraculously opening plagued on the mind. This, of course didn't happen. She wouldn't just randomly look outside would she? At least not while it was raining and there were no fireworks to see.

Here goes nothing.

Lifting my phone to my ear, I waited as the ringing tone went once, twice, three times. The window was ajar which meant that I could faintly hear the other end. It rung again.

"Hello?" a light switched on at the response.

I rolled my lips in and out of my mouth, "Well if you aren't too busy with standing around watching the fireworks in a dark room – which might I say is a little creepy - I suggest you come downstairs."

I turned my head sideways attempting to avoid my phone getting completely beat up by the rain. She then responded with, "Well it's raining so there aren't any. Why what's downstairs?"

How do I go about being smooth? Gagging from the flood water, "well as it's your favourite time of year-"

She cut me off, "what did you say?

"I said that because it's-"

"Connor all I can hear is rain. Are you outside or something?" her voice was louder so it was clear that she couldn't hear mine.

I lifted my head upright and stared directly at the window, "Yes I am outside." Casual. The king of.

"Why it's raining?"

I thought this chick was smart? "Gwen I'm outside."

"Con, I can't hear you. Wait-"

I couldn't hear her over the rain. It had started to lighten up but still too heavy to have a clear conversation.

Understanding that she wouldn't be able to hear me I crammed my phone into a ridiculously small pocket in my jeans, leaving it on loud speaker just in case she said anything- I had no insurance and didn't want it to get so wet that it would break. I think she said something but with the weight of the rain smashing at my ears I wasn't able to make out if she had said anything at all.

My head lifted. There she was about to open her window, resting the phone on her shoulder attempting to pry it open with both hands. Having not noticed me, "I don't have a clue what you're talking ab-"

The window swung open as more rain fell onto me. "Hiya" I retorted. She lowered the phone from her ear and hung up, not taking her eyes away from mine.

Wide eyes, "Oh my word! Connor what the hell are you- You look so cold. Oh you poor thing must be freezing. Look I'm grounded so," as she spoke I made my way to the part of the house which extended a meter beneath her window, looking up at her. The Juliet to my Romeo, "Can you climb?"

I looked from her to the wall then back to her, "Um, how?"

She rested her arms against the window ledge, "its quiet simple really" she teased, "you grab that black pipe, just up then grab that patch there and use your upper arm strength to wrestle the guttering, throw your legs onto the tiles and then crawl up to the window" I just gorged at her waiting for a reason why she made it sound so easy. "I've done it every now and again sneaking out at night" she explained.