Chapter 12: Glad you called

I hadn't tried to contact her since that day. Just to avoid her (and any further embarrassment) I even walked the old way home.

The way she reacted just made me afraid.

Unable to convince myself that it was the creature in my head just screwing with my mind like some functional error; in all honesty I still loved her and I knew that she felt something for me, or at least I hoped so. I thought it over and over a million times until finally I concluded to myself one Saturday evening that I would text her once and if she didn't answer then that was that and it'd be clear that she wasn't bothered about me.

Risky move maybe but at least I could stop thinking about her and wasting my dreams on what our future could be.

Swiping at the screen I brought up our last texts. An unwilling smile jumping to my cheeks at the sight of our last messages the ones just before they decided to pick us up rather than Greg and I going down there (this of course doesn't include the shit tonne which I sent to her when she didn't reply):

Gwen: So you're still up for the party tonight? Don't mind if you'd rather not. Don't wanna go myself tbh.

Connor: Yeah meeting at yours still?

Gwen: yes of course J can't wait to see you make sure your hairs done well, I love when you have it slicked back makes you so good JS, cheekbones and everything.

Connor: oh gosh :0 well you just look stunning all the time so I doubt you'll be able to improve!

Gwen: Just you wait and see Con :P

The context of our conversation was clear without having to even look at the date. Clearly this was during the time in which I was getting ready to go to that celebration party, she mentioned about my hair and how she liked it a certain way so I had to get it right. I just had to impress her. I hope I did.

I then scanned my brain for any insight to what could be sent. Ugh. Um. Well. Yeah, I didn't know what to send! How about just 'Hey' or is that too short to get a reply? Should I have a full on display about my feelings or even complain about what happened and that it upset me? No, that'd be embarrassing – tragically comedic.

Once I'd opened the keyboard I starting typing then deleting everything as soon as it had been written, my heart thumping with no movement. With a breath I concluded, 'Gwen so you gonna talk to me or what? Xx' with two kisses just to not sound aggressive or angry. To come across as playful. Yeah playful like that would get a response.

I waited till it went twenty one minutes past seven. Which was literally one minute. Cipher.

What as I expecting? Not like she'd talk to me after what happened anyway. I grunted. Understanding and confused. Lobbing my cell across the room like some ball. In the shape of Jesus I threw my lifeless self-back on my bed. "I'm ready for my crucifixion" I whispered like some brat from a soppy 90's music video. I laid there staring at the ceiling then I sat up in a hurry – legs crossed- was I stupid to feel this way about her? Maybe I was wrong about what happened? Maybe what happened that night wasn't-

Zzzzzzzzzzt! Zzzzzzzzzzt!

"My phone!" I shouted to no one. Literally, I was alone. The fastest rocket you've ever seen I zoomed across the room in a pouncing motion, practically flying off the end of the bed. "Ah shit where is it?" Zzzzzzzzzzzzzt! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzt! The vibrations went again but of course I had to be a moron and fling it somewhere which main me incapable of retrieving it.

Nice one Connor! Alright Connor, gosh this isn't time for an inner monologue right now! Yeah stop talking to your conscience and find your god damn phone before she hangs up on you. How do you know it's even her?

"I FOUND IT!" Gracefully chilling on top of my filth ridden pile of laundry which was now at a record breaking ¼ meter high. Snatching it like a fat kid with food I swiped up and clung it to my ear just able to see that it was definitely Gwen who was ringing before I started talking. Best to safe any weird conversations with old relatives who called at ungodly times like this one. Thank god it was her...

"HEY! Uh, hi Gwen," well that was casual...

"Oh hi Connor. Sorry that I lost our streak. Gosh I haven't seen you in ages. I miss you. A lot."

Well then, that escalated quickly...

I hesitated, "You miss me?" I tried to sound like I wasn't happy about that. I was though. Especially given the tone of our last meeting.

She breathed out as if she decided to skip over something, "yeah well I don't see you walking home anymore. I assumed you um you know?"

"Assumed what?" I asked lightly, "tell me"

Her voice was sweet and settling, "I just guessed you'd grew bored of me or something. I'd happy you called." Letting out a playful giggle.

Wait, but I didn't ring her. She rang me. "Uh, Gwen you rang me..."

"No you rang me"
"no," I chuckled, "I text you and then you rang me 'cuz of it"

"Oh right!" she seemed shocked by this, "look I'll be honest," about time Gwen... "I was going to ring you eventually anyway". Oh...

"Yeah well your knight in shining armour is here now," the smug expression glued to my face as I lay back with one arm behind my head, "you'd miss me too much if I wasn't around".

"Well sure whatever you want to believe. Ah wow!" something had distracted her, from the other side of the line I could hear SQEEE (that's meant to be how it sounds when you get up from your bed) and then footsteps. I asked her what but she took a second to reply, "Hmm? Oh sorry it's just the fireworks."

I scrunched up my nose then heard a bang from outside my window. I too stood from my position and opened the curtains to see, it was indeed fireworks. Realising, "ah you like fireworks?"

"Yes," she breathed as I saw one spiral upward and split open in the sky casting shades of orange all around. "It is bonfire night after all. The forecast said it would rain. And they don't work well in rain so I hope it doesn't."

"What makes you like it? Surely it's a tad boring don't you think?"

"Well the family took me out to this field one time to watch them, it was so spectacular! The lights and the colours it's just so peaceful. Rob said he would take me this year but clearly that didn't happen."

"So you're just at home?" I eagerly asked when the light bulb flicked on in my mind.

"Yep. Sat on the window ledge just-"

From her end I could hear one really violently explode in the sky, "watching them blow up. Do you watch the fireworks?"

I thought carefully about what I might say, "Not normally no," I admitted.

Rushing down the stairs I ran into the kitchen and then to the living room to find my mum watching some creepy cooking show: Gwen was talking on the other end, I moved the phone from my ear, "Hey mum? Yeah I'm just nipping outside for a bit. Don't lock me out!" I then lifted it up in time to hear Gwen and responded, "Well yeah they are beautiful kind of like you".

My mother growled back, "No you're not! Look at the time child". It was loud enough for Gwen to hear,

"Who was that?" her tender lips spoke.

I turned back to see my mum facing me with perched lips, "Oh just my mum. Look I'll talk to you later. Enjoy the view."

After hearing her say goodbye I tried to explain to my mum. She wouldn't listen. It ended in her banishing me to my room. It didn't last long. Once she returned to the sofa room I slipped on some shoes, got my key (just in case) and checked on my mother.

Asleep.

Perfect!

Time to make like Mufasa: be prepared of the chance of a life time.