Chapter 16: Did my eyes deceit me?

Tomorrow arrived.

The time was fast approaching. Skelly's class last lesson was always a bore but this time it seemed so immensely slow due to anticipation for how Gwen would react. Greg would bring it up every few minutes and sometimes I would find myself nervous about the inevitable.

I had all the work done before the end of lesson which was a really bad idea. Maybe I should have gotten out some work on precipitation reactions just to prevent myself from worrying. It was in those moments when I leant back in my chair, chest pounding like a drum when Skelly noticed.

"Back to your old self then Connor?" She tutted, snapping me from the day dream. I smiled at her with a short laugh, "No actually miss, I've done everything. I'm thinking about something else, that's all".

Usually she'd check my work, this time she didn't. "Oh yeah?" she questioned.

A lightning bolt, Greg shot up "He is very pre-occupied Miss"

I could feel my cheeks go bright red as she raised her eyebrows questionably, "Yes miss," I smiled, "I'm planning on asking Gwen out after school."

"I was the one whom informed him that it was best," Greg blurted.

Skelly turned to the clock and then back to me, "well then, looks like my source was wrong."

"Who?" Greg and I asked simultaneously.

"Oh," She started, "Benjie, that one who rides that inhuman sized bike. He came to me this morning stating that he had evidence to prove that you two went out".

Normally I'd be embarrassed, this time I just laughed which led Greg to do so. It wasn't even funny but I was in such a good mood that I found it hilarious. Even Skelly chuckled; laughter is contagious! It was as threatening as a new born child.

Once we stopped laughing she turned to me and whispered "good luck!"

"But there's still four minutes until the bell" I said wondering why she was concluding our conversation.

"The school doesn't have many rules though does it? Not that we stick to them anyway," I turned to Greg who was also confused, "go!" she commanded.

With that request I took half a minute to pack up my stuff and with a grin as large as the Cheshire cat's, fled from the school.

It meant, of course that I saw her much earlier on than I would normally. We had a tendency to cross paths at the hill. This time I trotted down the hill past the shop and towards her school. By this time I had slowed my pace but the beaming sunshine still lightening my jaw. I looked upward and shouted her name. "Gwen!" I practically screamed lunging forward like some wild cat just freed from its enclosure. I turned another corner and came to a standstill as I spotted her not far down the road.

As always, the signature ruby-purple matte lipstick was situated perfectly upon her lips, the skirt just below the knee and her hair bouncy and wild. Gwen was always ready for a photoshoot which of course I was dying to see. Ever since that first November night, I have always seemed to look at everything she did, said or wore in more detail than I ever had before. Not yet had she seen me so I could admire her from afar. Legs like that of a runway model I could feel the smile on my face cracking my jaw like a piercing saw. But wait...

Did my eyes deceit me?

There she was, the girl of my dreams. Stunning and radiant, a goddess sent just for me. But this time, she did not walk alone: another figure was luring next to her. Someone I knew. Bestowal shoe print engraved on their face.

Holding my Guinevere's hand.

Bullington...