Chapter 15: Greg was never so blunt

Robert was right. I hate to say it. I wish I didn't have to.

The next few months of mock exams somehow cascaded into endless nights held back at the school to do revision sessions. Before I knew it, exam season had already raced around the road like a Ferrari loaded with toxic waste. Stabbing me left right and centre, tossing any free time I had out the window. I was not ready.

Needless to say, I spent little time with Gwen over those next few months. I think we hung out twice properly and one time I even plucked up the courage to kiss her on the cheek. Unexpectedly, that moment was one full of emotion and torment. Guinevere had smiled at me like she always would, but this time it was significant. Once I saw her glimmering smile I wanted to hug her, just stay wrapped in her arms I delicately placed my lips upon her cheek but turned away before she could see me cry - it wouldn't have been right for me to allow that. Was it the stress of exams or the fact that I hardly saw her anymore? The fact that I knew one day she'd be gone completely. That is of course unless I made some kind of effort to prevent it. I didn't know why I felt so emotional at the time and I still don't.

One time around about the beginning of March I remember having to spend two hours with one of my science teachers; it was the subject I was failing in most. He wasn't fond of me and I wasn't fond of him. I came to him for help and somehow he allowed it. I saw him every Wednesday for two hours after school until the science exam. This one day we were discussing Chemistry and precipitation reactions. There were some other kids with me who wanted to know about the reactions.

"So here I have three separate test tubes," the teacher explained gesturing to the table in front of us. He pushed the bulky goggles back up his nose as he rubbed his trimmed beard, "I just realised I probably don't have time to show you then all, but since you got the rest of the notes down in the first hour and a bit I thought it'd be useful for visual learners to see".

The two lads to my left were leant against the table, the one closest to me chewing a really strong piece of bubble gum chud. On the other side was this one bird who was only there to rub in how good she was at science. The teacher, W took one of the tubes and put in some colourless boring looking stuff. "So here," he began, "I have a solution of potassium iodide," he held it out to the first lad.

"What sir?" he crocked, the teacher held it out to him and eventually the boy gave in, took the tube and held it.

"So now if I add in a solution of lead what?" his question was meant for the whole room but I didn't get it. "To form a precipitation what type of solution do I need to add? What do I need to add to form yellow lead?" the two lads shrugged and then I responded with the standard, "I don't know". He shook his head and pointed to the other side of the workbench – there were only 3 bottles all with labels on so I could have just guessed.

Melanie shot up, "you need to add a nitrate" she spluttered.

The teacher nodded as the clock turned to half four. Not that we were allowed to leave of course. He always had a thing about going after the bell at the end of the day. W lifted the bottle and pipette as his eyes met mine, "We're not done yet Connor. Your GCSE not mine." I muttered a bullshit apology to allow him to finish, "Okay so as I said we have a test tube with a solution of potassium iodide, if I add a drop of lead nitrate-"to this he squeezed down on the pipette. Sure enough, as W had told us, a yellow precipitate would form. This only took a few drops. As the lead nitrate reacted with the potassium iodide it looked as if it had turned yellow and then as it rested at the bottom of the test tube a solid was formed. "You will see that other than this funky yellow we form a precipitate at the bottom of the test tube". Just as I had said. He then showed us two other bland experiments wasting yet another five minutes of my life. How wonderful!