Chapter 26- It's Time

It's Time

Kalani 🐚

Seven o'clock came too quick. I showered and curled my long blonde hair. Something I hadn't done in ages. My makeup was barley there. By the end of the night it would've been sweated off anyway, so I settled for mascara, face powder, and blush.

I slipped my robe off and replaced it with my new dress. It was a light powder blue that was pretty stiff in shape but I felt I could still pull it off. I paired it with some silver strappy sandals. Just in case, I grabbed an old brown purse and put my phone, lip gloss, and a pack of gum in it.

I exited my bedroom and entered the living room where my mother and Kai's parents greeted me.

"Oh honey!"

"Lani my sweets, you look incredible!"

My mom and Kai's mom gushed. It made me smile.

I curtsied. "Thank you, thank you," I blew them both kisses and chuckled.

"Well is my best friend a hottie or what?" I snapped my head to the direction of the front door where Kai stood wearing her blue and white romper that she paired with brown strappy sandals. A dainty silver necklace sparkled in the light as she posed. Her naturally curly hair was straightened to perfection.

"Kai you look great!" I squealed and ran over to her.

"I could say the same about you. I mean... those legs?!" We both burst into laughter but it soon died down as her dad interrupted us with a cough.

We knew what was coming.

"Ladies." He stepped towards us.

We both gulped.

"I want you to be safe. Don't do anything I wouldn't do. Don't let any boy touch you-"

"Okay okay!" Kai screamed, covering her ears. She walked up to her dad and placed her hands on his cheeks and kissed his head.

"I'm a big girl. Plus Lani will be there to protect me," she joked.

He laughed. "I need you both to protect each other."

"Okay honey that's enough. Let the girls go," Kai's mom smiled at us.

"Are you meeting Aaron there or-"

"Actually we're walking together." A voice from behind made us jump.

"Aaron?" Kai turned around and tucked a piece of hair away from her face.

Aaron looked sharp in his khaki shorts and jean shirt combo.

He handed a bouquet of sunflowers to Kai, just as I suggested. She gasped. "Aaron... you didn't need too." She smiled into the flowers. I'd never seen her so girly before.

"Oh here Lani." Aaron pulled out a single rose and handed it to me. "What kind of a gentleman would I be if I came empty handed for my date's best friend."

I grinned. "Thanks Aaron."

"You ready?" He asked us.

We both nodded and handed out moms the flowers to put in water. It was so hard to get away as our moms bombarded us with a photo shoot. 

"Thanks parent figures. We're leaving now!" Kai grabbed my arm along with Aaron's  and led us out of my house.

"You look beautiful Kai," I heard Aaron whisper to Kai as I let them walk a little ahead of me.

I kicked the gravel beneath my feet.

"Oh my gosh, Aaron!" Kai laughed loudly as Aaron said some kind of joke.

"Hey Lani, why don't you come up here?" Kai looked back towards me and offered it sweetly.

"Oh no!" I shook my head. "You guys go ahead! I promise I'll meet up with you in a little bit!" I nodded vigorously.  They agreed and headed towards the beach at a faster pace then I held.

All of a sudden, that feeling you get when there are eyes on you... yeah that feeling came over me. I stopped dead in my tracks and waited for the person to catch up with me.

"Michael." I stated.

"Hey Lani." The familiar yet foreign voice spoke.

"Whatcha doin?" I asked casually.

I watched as he shrugged. "Going to that beach party thing. You?"

I nodded awkwardly. "Same."

"Thanks for going. Aaron wouldn't shut up about how excited he was for tonight."

I chuckled. "And Kai. Lord she was so annoying in the store today. All giddy like. Will Aaron like this? What do you think Aaron will say? What do you think Aaron will be wearing? I laughed.

Michael laughed at that too.

And then we stopped and there was silence yet again.

"So. Your girlfriend. How is she?" I tried to make conversation but then I realized how wrong that actually was of me.

He shrugged. "She misses me. It's pretty hard. But we're getting through it. She's planning a trip here soon."

"Nice. Nice." I commented a little awkwardly.

"Can we just be like friends? Is that not allowed?"

I chuckled. "I think it's allowed. I think it's a good idea."

He sighed. "Phew. Finally. I think so too."

Before we knew it we made it to the beach. There were tables full of food and drinks and desserts. There were a few canopies with pretty little lanterns hung at the top.

We spotted Aaron and Kai who were holding solo cups and standing in the water. Aaron was holding his boat shoes along with Kai's sandals.

"Kalani!"

I turned around and spotted a girl who I had a chemistry class with last year.

"Hi Lindsay." I smiled.

"Let's dance, girl!" She pulled me out into the crowd.

The dance area was crowed and smelly. Lots of sweaty armpits and lots of grinding. It was still really fun. I had the most fun I'd had in a long time.

"My turn, my turn!" Someone suddenly pulled my arm out of its socket.

I chuckled at Kai. "Isn't this crazy fun?" She grinned.

I nodded. "I made up with Michael. We're actually really good." I shouted over the loud music and other people.

"That's great!" She cheered. "Aaron and I are getting along so well. He is so sweet!" She gushed.

"Oh that's great!"