Chapter 2- Meeting the Neighbors

Meeting the Neighbors

Kalani🐚

As Kai likes to say, i kou maika 'i kuko ana ma.

Or in English; put your positive pants on.

I was being a Debby Downer about the new neighbors. Haleiwa, Oahu is tiny and we don't ever change.

By the time dark came it was only 7:30 and so Kai and I waited to go surfing; we wanted to wait until midnight.

One of the best things Kai and I love about night surfing is the fact that there's not a crowd, unlike our competitions. That's when we came up with our tradition. From dark until sunrise we surf alone.

"Kai?" I lifted my head off of my pillow and glanced at a contorted Kai.

"Yes?" She poked her head up from in between her legs and I realized she was painting her toe nails.

"What if the new people are surf stars?" I smiled actually yearning for the thought.

Kai sighed. "Then we could aspire to be like them one day," she laughed.

"What if they are drug dealers? Or worse- people who work for a mafia?" I chuckled at myself.

"And what if they are murderers that will kill us all?" Kai said. "We couldn't do anything to change it so why worry?" She gave me a crooked smile before returning back to her blue colored toes.

"True, very true," I sighed.

"What's wrong Kalani? You don't sigh. You're not a sigh-ful person?" She asked genuinely.

"Ah I don't know I guess I'm just thinking about graduation. I thought I wanted to surf but I don't. I can't make a real career just surfing."

"Kalani." Kai said sternly.

"What?"

"Whatever you do in life your dad will be proud. I promise you," she put her hand on my knee.

"Ugh I know, I know."

"How bout we go meet the new neighbors? Will that make you feel a little bit better? Because you're clearly on your period or something." She laughed.

I scoffed. "Am not. Can't I just be emotional?" I crossed my arms.

"No!" She chuckled. "Let's go!"

"No I'm nervous!" I squeaked.

"That's not my problem. We're going," she grabbed my forearm and drug me out of my house.

She had finished painting one set of toes but it looked silly because three of her toes on the other foot weren't painted yet.

We stopped outside the house across the street. Nice house really. A two story- maybe a one and a half story- it was a green color. The moving truck in the driveway was still there along with three other cars. People were constantly walking in and out.

I exchanged a look with Kai. We hadn't seen one surf board. Which is weird.

I followed Kai as she walked up the cross way to the front door.