Chapter 14- Depression

Depression

Kalani 🐚

Today I was actually debating life.

My mother had kicked me out- something about "stop reading and be a kid".

I just wasn't feeling it. I started to open up (just barely) to Michael and it hurt when he stopped it so quickly; especially after I shared such intimate parts of my family life with him.

I was on my front porch, drawing little crabs in the dirt when Kai approached me.

"Are you 12?" She laughed as she sat down next to me.

"No but I wish," I smiled.

"Me too," she sat back.

"Want to go surfing? My dad showed me a YouTube video last night and I'm really itching to go and try some tricks!" She said.

"I'm pretty sure I've never turned down surfing... but I'm not really feeling it today," I
shrugged.

"Okay let's go! Wait. I'm sorry, what?" She stood and stared at me.

"Yeah I don't I'm just- blah. I feel blah," I complained.

"Okaaaay," she drew out. "Then how bout you come with me- take your board if you want- and you can critique me?"

"I guess," I nodded. I didn't bother changing into a suit. I wasn't surfing, but I grabbed a board to appease Kai.

We were just about to load her car when we were stopped.

"Oooh taking a surf are we?" Aaron yelled from across the road.

"Can you not today please? Seriously I'm not in the mood for either of you boys," I shook my head. Kai shot both of the boys across the street, a glare.

"Hey! All I'm saying is that we're going too. I want to try and teach Michael to surf before he embarrasses himself much more-"

My ears perked up. "I'm sorry. You're teaching Michael to surf?"

I watched Michael nod slowly.

"Okay," I agreed.

"What?" Kai gawked at me. "I never agreed to hang out with them."

"Okay then you stay here and I'll go," I started to walk away when I heard her huff and puff.

She grabbed our boards and we found ourselves across the street in front of the familiar red jeep.

Aaron took our boards from Kai's grasp and gestured for us to get in the back seats.

I hopped right in, but it took Kai a moment to agree.

"Can we take up that offer? You know the $20 thing? I'd like to get an ice cream cone today but I have zero dollars," she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Oh no sweetheart. That deal was void as soon you left the other day," Michael laughed loudly.

"Okay then I'm not going," she tested them.

"Fine. I'll buy you an ice cream cone. Get in," Aaron said sternly.

"Okay," she said more happily, this time. She hopped in the seat next to me and demanded the radio be turned on. After a few songs I wasn't feeling so blah anymore.

I was singing along to the popular songs and even danced a little. My smiled faltered when I saw Michael looking at me in the rear view mirror. He looked away quickly and I just ignored it.