Chapter 20 - Waking Up *

Waking Up

Kalani 🐚

I felt funny. I felt like I was having a bad dream. The ones that make you shake and sweat real hard. I tried to open my eyes but I couldn't see anything. That freaked me out more than I already was.

I wiggled a toe. Then another toe. I tried to shake my leg out but that was definitely a little harder. I lifted my hand up to touch my head and check as to why I couldn't see. I felt a... bandage?

It completely wrapped around my head. It made me claustrophobic just thinking about it. I started to panic a little.

I wiggled my body and began to flail my arms.

"Holy..." I mumbled.

"Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh." I heard someone else mutter.

"Nurse! We need a nurse!" A different voice shouted this time.

"Calm down. It's okay Lani. You're fine!" The first voice tried to soothe me but I really couldn't concentrate on anything but getting the stupid bandage off of my eyes.

"Okay honey. Did you have a nice sleep?" Another voice entered the room.

I stopped flailing and shook my head. "What?"

"I'm Nurse Hannah. You're in the hospital Kalani. You've been out for a few days now." She grabbed my arm. I assumed she was checking my pulse.

"A few... days?" I mumbled, entirely confused.

"Yes. Do you remember?" She started to rub my head.

"No... "

"Okay that's fine." She reassured me. "Now can you tell me what you last remember then?"

"Um. I remember I was inside... for a few days."

She hummed and urged for me to go on.

"I... I went surfing! That's right. I went surfing and I saw my friend Aaron there and then I... oh." I frowned.

"Hold that thought honey, I'm gonna grab the doctor." The nurse scurried away leaving me alone.

I heard a few sniffles though.

"Hello?" I mumbled.

"Hey Lani..." this first voice greeted me, and I suddenly realized it was a familiar one.

"Kai? Is that you?" I sat up.

"No stay laying down. Be careful. I'm here," she cooed.

"What happened?" I whined. "I can't really remember!"

"It's okay the doctor is coming. He'll help you!" She held onto my hand.

Just as she said, the doctor came in. He made me recite my birthday, my whole name, along with all of the places I've ever visited. He asked me what school I went too and what year it was. He told me to count backwards from 30 to 10.