Chapter 10- A Storm is Brewing

A Storm is Brewing

Kalani🐚

For a few weeks, life returned back to normal. No boys, just Kai and I, and surfing.

I said a few weeks.

"Kalani! Please hurry!" My mom called from her bedroom.

"Mom I'm hurrying as fast as I can!" I replied.

I started to gather up my things. I tossed my phone charger, and laptop, a few old journals, and stuffed animals into a bag. I looked towards my nightstand. No.

I ran into the kitchen to see if I could find anything important in there. But feeling guilty, I ran back into my room and opened my nightstand drawer. I pulled out a picture frame. It was of my mom, dad, and I a few years ago before things got bad. We looked so happy.

I wondered where dad was today.

"Mom I'm ready. We need to go!" I rushed into her room where I saw her on the floor.

"Mom what are you- are you crying?" I exhaled loudly. I dropped my bag to the floor and sat next to her.

"Mom?" I put my hand on her shoulder, and slowly but surely I finally see it.

Their wedding album.

"I didn't tell you because I was scared. I'm still scared. I feel like I've failed you," she whispered, her voice cracking.

"What? What is it?" I tried to calm her by stroking her hair.

"Your dad. He's gone," she simply replies.

I tried not to chuckle. "You don't think I know that?" I raise a brow.

"No sweetheart. He's gone and this time for good," her eyes met mine and I wasn't sure I understood what she was implying.

"What do you mean?" I ask slowly.

"I got the divorce papers in the mail last Tuesday. We're over."

"Where is he?" I asked with a stoned expression.

"I'm not sure... somewhere in Arizona I think."

"Oh," I shrug. "Good riddance. Now come on. We have to go," I pulled her up and take the wedding album into my grasp. As much as I didn't want too, I put it in my bag.

We were a good family. Until I turned 13. He started to act weird. He suddenly stopped coming to my surf competitions and stopped eating dinner with mom and I.

He'd come home late, and most of the time drunk. But then a month passed and he was fine. Fun and back to normal.

Then, he changed again. This went on for a year until he finally admitted that he was cheating. I didn't learn this until a few months ago of course. That's not something you tell a 13 year old. I think the only reason my mom stayed with him all these years was because she knew she couldn't support me on her own.

Thats probably why he started to really disappear when I turned 18. And here we are now.

We turned the lights off and headed to Kai's house very quickly.