Chapter 16- Surfing Alone

Surfing Alone

Kalani🐚

So much for moving on. Alana just wanted to hurt me. And it worked.

I got home and went to bed, not caring that it was only like 6 o'clock. My mom tried comforting me and I should have been more grateful for it but this boy had my stupid heart and I just felt off. My family life sucked; my dad left my mom and I... and now I wouldn't be able to attend college in California because I couldn't leave her alone.

Most of all I didn't understand why he chose Alana? It was so confusing and made my brain hurt.

Kai sat with me in my room for a few days but she began to get bored of just sitting inside. Frankly so did I. I asked Kai if she wanted to surf but she said she was busy.

So I decided to go alone.

"Mom I'm going out-"

"Oh that's great sweetheart. That bedroom needs some time away from you," she chuckled.

"I know," I smiled lightly. "Mom."

"Yes?"

"I don't know why I'm so invested in nothing!" I whined.

She patted the spot next to her on the couch, so I sat down. "What do you mean?" She asked, taking her glasses off her face.

"The whole Michael thing. It's not like we even went on a date but my heart just aches," I sighed.

Mom lifted her brows and frowned. "That's how it was with your father," she explained.

"What do you mean?" I shook my head.

"Well," she grabbed my hands in hers. "We were 15. Freshmen in high school. He was the popular, and hot, amazing surfer. I was average. I was a cute kid, I knew how to surf. When he picked me I felt so honored. After the first time we hung out I told my mom I'd marry him. I think sometimes we just give our hearts away too quickly and sometimes to the wrong people."

"That makes sense," I frowned.

"Now. I'm glad you're feeling better. Did you want to watch movies all day and eat chocolate or go shopping for a 'pick me up' outfit?" She suggested.

I chuckled. "I was thinking more along the lines of surfing. Can I leave now?"

"Not alone you can't. Kai is going?" She asked.

"Uh yeah," I fibbed.

"Alright then. Please be careful sweetheart," she kissed my forehead and sent me off.

I tossed a board into my car and drove off, praying my mom wouldn't notice the empty passenger seat. I chose a beach close by. When I arrived it was pretty empty but not like empty. I slipped my shirt and shorts off to reveal my one piece, wet suit. I unloaded my car and strapped my board to my ankle.

I walked out towards the water. It just barely grazed my toes, sending me a shiver. I heard a few kids giggling at their dad for getting them wet. I watched as a grandmother knit a blanket or something as her granddaughter made a sandcastle.

I ran into the water.

Why couldn't have life been easy like that? Why? Why me?