Chapter 11- During the Eye of the Storm

During the Eye of the Storm

Kai🌺

Both Kalani and Michael left me in the safe room by myself so I had to go get them to come back. When Kalani left, at first there was a silence between Micheal and I. Then all of a sudden he ran after her and that's supposed to be my job! I'm supposed to take care of her! I knew how Lani felt about Michael and he seemed to care about her but I didn't like the idea someone taking Lani away from me.

I gave them a brief moment together before I walked up the stairs to go bring them back down. They were standing out on my porch in the middle of the storm like crazy people. I saw Michael talking to Kalani and then he hugged her. It was cute that he cared about her and I'm glad she had another friend- wait what am I saying! That is my friend I was supposed to be hugging her and making her feel better. What the heck Michael! I walked to the sliding door and opened it.

"Are you guys nuts!? Get back in here before you die!" I said very sternly to them.

They jumped at my sudden outburst and broke apart the hug. Kalani just looked at me and walked back into the house. Michael stood there and stared at me for a moment then walked in after Kalani. We all walked back down to the safe room and nobody said a word.

I started to drift off to sleep because I was so bored. While I drifted off I though about how mad I was at Kalani's dad for leaving them. I knew things were hard for them but I never thought he would actually leave. And I didn't know he was cheating either. I just felt so bad for Kalani and her mom. I hoped so badly that they could both get over this stupid hump in their life. At this point I was in a deep sleep and my thoughts stopped bothering me.

I woke up to the safe door opening. "Storm's over kids. You can come out now," my dad said.

I stretched and rubbed my eyes a little while Michael and Kalani get up and walked out. I got up too and followed them into the living room. I checked the clock on the wall and it read 11:30 at night. The storm lasted for 5 hours.

"Well we should probably get going, thank you for letting us stay with you guys. It was our first bad storm experience here in Hawaii," said Mrs. Anderson.

We all walked them to the door and said goodbye. Michael hugged Kalani and whispered something to her and left following his parents. My dad shut the door and we all went into the kitchen.

My mom looked over to Kai's mom, Lilia,"you both can stay at our house if you want too. No need to go back home right now, it's late."

Lilia looks up from the counter that she was staring at. "Thank you. We will stay if you don't mind."

I grabbed Kalani's arm and pulled her into my room.

"Lani why did Michael have to be the one to comfort you? Why did you shut me out?" I said with hurt in my voice.

"I-I don't know Kai. I just... I don't know."

"You do know, you just won't tell me!" At this point my anger was starting to boil just a bit.

"No Kai. I don't know- maybe it's because I'm afraid. I'm afraid to tell my friend that my family is more screwed up now than it ever has been and that my dad finally decided to be the real ass he is and leave his family behind for some woman that he thinks is better than my mom!" She started to cry. I reached out and hugged her, holding as best as I can trying to calm her down. I know though that she needed to get some tears out.

"I'm sorry Kalani. You know that. You never have to be afraid to tell me anything because I love you and I'm here for you no matter what. We have been through so much together and I would never judge you. It's your dad's fault that things are the way they are." I pay her pay over and over trying to get her to calm down and finally understand.

"It was easier you know. Telling Michael instead of you. Maybe it's because he doesn't know me yet so I felt like he doesn't know just how screwed up I am," she sniffed a couple of times, her tears starting slow down.

"You aren't screwed up Kalani. Your dad is the one that is screwed up. It will be better now you know. You don't have to see your mom go through the pain of having a husband who doesn't care about his family."

"You're probably right."

"Girl you know I'm always right. Now let's get you ready for bed," I give her a smirk and grabbed her a pair of pajama pants and an old shirt. She slowly walked to the bathroom. And while she was gone, I quickly put on my pajamas. I was all dressed just in time for her to come back in my room. I pulled back the black and white patterned covers on my bed and Kalani got in. I had a queen sized bed so we could both fit in it comfortably. I laid down and she comes over and laid closer to me, her arms are wrapped around my arm and she puts her on my pillow by my head.

"Lani?" I said.

"Yes?"

"What did Michael say...?"

"What do you mean?" She let go and sat up.

"Right before he left. What did he whisper in your ear?"

"Goodnight Kai."

"No tell me," I pleaded, smiling a little.

She sighed. "He said that he wouldn't do it yet, but he was planning on telling me something."

I didn't even speak.

"I don't know- he probably just felt bad. I don't even know what he would say..." she trailed off, slicking her hair down.

"Are you kidding?" I laughed out loud. "Kalani and Michael sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g!"

"Shut up!" She squealed. "Your parents are going to hear!"

And with that my door opened. "There will be no kissing for anyone. Go to bed!" My dad teased.

Lani was so embarrassed she couldn't even look at him. She hid her face under my covers.

And then we fell asleep.