Chapter 18- While You Were Sleeping (Kai) *

While You Were Sleeping

Kai🌺

While Kalani was sleeping I went back home to get a change of clothes. I planned to stay with her until she woke up for good, even though the doctors weren't sure how long it would take.

She had been in and out of for a few days now. She'd wake up long enough to sip some water and then she'd fall right back asleep again. I guess it's normal when the brain has had a lot of trauma- it needs time to heal.

I packed a couple of comfy outfits consisting of  leggings, sweaters, sweatpants, a tank top, and undergarments. I walked into the kitchen with my bag and got some of Kalani's favorite candy- Reese's. I grinned, knowing how excited she'd get when she spotted the familiar orange wrapper.

My dad was at work still, so when I exited my house I made sure to lock the door behind me. I got into the driver's seat and look in the review mirror. I saw Michael walking his dog.

I had to go and talk to him.

I needed to tell him that playing with Kalani's emotions was not okay. I got out of my car and slammed the door shut. "Michael! I have a bone to pick with you!" I shouted at him, while slightly jogging his way.

"What Kai?" He said, aggravated.

"What are you doing with your life?"

"What do you mean exactly?" He raised his eyebrows at me.

"What were you thinking, going off with Alana!" I was so angry with him.

"She dragged me along with her. I didn't really have a choice."

"Every one has a choice, Michael."

"It's not like I was going to do anything with Alana anyways, I have a girlfriend."

"Say what now?!" Oh this boy!

"You didn't know?"

"No I didn't know, you never told me!"

"Sorry... never crossed my mind?"

"Never crossed your mind? Never crossed your mind! Did you think about what you're doing to poor Kalani?"

"I'm not doing anything to her! I told her that I had a girlfriend!"

"Oh. She never told me," I said, more so to myself.

"Obviously, or we wouldn't be having this conversation right now."

I couldn't take it anymore. I had a weak moment and slapped him.

I blamed it on the stress from Kalani being in the hospital. I turned away, marching back to my car. I backed out of my driveway very quickly and shouted at Michael, "I hope you enjoy your life in hell, friend!"

I slammed down on the gas peddle and drove back to the hospital. All I thought about on my drive to the hospital was how Michael could possibly do this to her.

I arrived quickly and headed straight to Lani's room.

I walked in and saw her in bed and Aaron... watching tv? When the heavy door automatically shut behind me, Aaron glanced my way.

"Hey Kai, welcome back! I was just keeping Kalani company while you were gone."

I sat my bag down,"Aaron can I talk to you outside?" I pointed to the door.

"Yeah, sure," he shrugged a little.

I looked over at Lani wishing that she was awake. I opened the door and we both walked out, waiting for it to close.

"What do you want to talk to me about?"

"First, why are you still here? And second why the hell did you not tell me about Michael having a girlfriend!"

"To answer the first question, it may surprise you but I'm friends with Lani, well I think I am anyways and second," he held up two fingers, "- it wasn't my place to tell you. That was between Michael and Kalani and it's not my fault that she didn't tell you."

"Ouch that hurt!" I put my hand over my heart jokingly. Then I got serious, "I'm sorry Aaron I didn't mean to yell at you I just-"

"-don't like someone hurting your friend? Yeah I know. It was hard for me to keep it from you but I knew I couldn't tell you and that Lani would tell you in her own time."

"Thanks Aaron," I smiled up at him.

"For what?" He smirked at me a little.

"For being there," I blushed a little... I couldn't believe I had just said that to him.

"Oh come on, get in here," he gestured to his open arms, "you know you want too," he wiggled his eyebrows at me.

"No. No I don't," I opened the door and walked back into the room.

Kalani was still asleep right where we left her. With the steady beat of the heart monitor. I walked over to her bed and picked up her hand, holding it. I laid my head on top of my hand that was holding hers.

All I wanted was for her to wake up.

"Please Lani... please be okay." I said, my voice fairly raspy. "When you wake up you can eat the Reese's I brought you." I was silently hoping that mentioning the word Reese's would magically wake her.

She didn't even stir.

I looked over at Aaron who was watching me with concerned eyes. There was a hint of something else in them but I wasn't quite sure what it was.

"You know you can't turn down one of my hugs and get away with it. It's just not allowed." He tried to bring back a happy mood.

"What are you going to do about it?" I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Hm... I will just bother you to the ends of the earth."

I knew I had to hug him or otherwise he would just keep pestering me. "Fine." I said with a sigh. I walked over into his outstretched arms and let him hug me. I just stood there all awkward like.

"This doesn't count unless you hug me back."

I stood there for a couple more seconds then decided to hug him.

"Much better," he said with a smile that I just knew was on his face.

I realized after a bit I was still in his arms. I hastily let go, wrapping my arms around my own body. We looked at each other, expecting the other person to say something first.

"I'm going to the cafeteria for a drink. You want something?"

"Sure... a strawberry smoothie please?" I asked, a childlike grin on my face.

"One strawberry smoothie coming up!" He left the room and I watched as the door closed behind him.

I just hugged Aaron and I kinda liked it. What is wrong with me!

If only Kalani was awake to see it.