Chapter 3- Surfing the Perfect Wave

Surfing the Perfect Wave

Kai🌺

I'm waiting on one last wave to ride in on to the shore. Kalani is already on the beach waiting for me. It's hard to explain the feeling I get when I know there is a good wave coming, I can just sense it. I get that feeling and start paddling to catch it, I'm successful and put a hand on my board so I can stand up. It feels so magical surfing on the water; it brings me to peace and put's me in such a relaxed mood.

"Nice ride Kai, you looked really good!" Kalani yelled at me while I unstrapped the Velcro from around my ankle.

"Thanks Lani it was a pretty good ride! You also did great today to by the way," I wink at her.

Kalani and I decided to take a small break from big surfing competitions this summer. We really just wanted to have fun before we headed off to college.

Kalani and I start gathering up our stuff, I turn around and accidentally bump into someone. Which was really weird considering that no one should be out on the beach passed midnight...

"Oh crap! I'm sorry, are you okay?" I look up to see who I practically ran over with my surf board.

I ran into a boy... maybe not a boy. He looked more like a man with such delicious tan skin and defined biceps. Wait... let me rephrase that- defined everything.

"I'm fine, sorry I should have been paying attention to where I was going," the boy replied in a deep voice.

I looked over at Kalani and she was definitely avoiding eye contact. The guy started to walk away from us when I yelled, "sorry again!"

I walked back up to the house with Kalani in tow, and we went back into her room bringing the surf boards with us. There was definitely enough room for them because Kalani and I were both blessed with large bedrooms.

"Now that was a piece of man candy, if I do say so myself- yummy!"

I couldn't believe my ears. Of all people- my best friend Kalani said that.

"Wow Lani a little brave tonight are we?" I looked at her questioningly.

"What can I say? That boy had me drooling! I wonder who he is?"

I sat down on Kalani's bed while she is standing leaning on her board. "He is probably just a tourist here for the summer," I told her. Those types of people are always here during the summer mostly.

"You're probably right. Anyways I should get some sleep, see you tomorrow maybe," she was slyly kicking me out of her room. I didn't mind.

"Okay see ya Lani! Sweet dreams!"

I got ready for bed by first taking a shower. I then put my comfortable leggings and a t-shirt on, followed by brushing my teeth. After I was all done, I pulled my covers back and went to sleep.

I woke up around 8:30 the next morning as per usual. I get up early in the summer, not quite sure why. Rubbing my eyes, I walked out to the kitchen to find my mom making breakfast and my dad reading the town newspaper. This family was as stereotyped as it can get.

"Hey mom," I come up behind her and give her a hug.

"Morning dad!" I walk up to him and give him a kiss on the cheek.

"Morning sweetheart," my dad says.

I sat down on the bar stool that's at our kitchen island.

"So do you have any big plans today sweetie?" Of course mom is keeping tabs on me all the time.

"Not really, more surfing maybe. I went to meet the new neighbors yesterday with Kalani. The lady I met was really nice, she said she has a son! He wasn't around though."

"I'm glad you met her already dear! I met her too and she is coming over later to make some cookies and chat! She says she has a recipe that is to die for," that's my mom for you, always wanting to bake and cook.

"Okay well I'm going to go text Lani and see if she can hangout later... like always."

I went back into my room and texted her.

Me: Hey you want to hangout later???

Lani: I actually can't for once! My mom is making us have a family day thing today, sorry. 

Me: It's okay! Talk later.

Well that was a real bummer. I didn't really have any other friends to hangout with so I settled with helping my mom and the neighbor lady make cookies. Until then though I planned on just watching Gossip Girl on Netflix.

Soon it was already noon and the doorbell rang. My mom went  to answer the door and I heard her say, "Mrs. Anderson how nice to see you again!"

I walked into the kitchen to find my mom and Mrs. Anderson both there.

"Kai, I thought you were supposed to be with Kalani?" My mom asked with a little surprise in her voice.

"Yeah... I was supposed to but she had a family day thing so I decided to just stay home. Can I help you guys?"

"Of course you can Kai!" Mrs. Anderson said.

The rest of the day we made cookies and had a good time laughing and talking with each other. The cookies turned out really good. I guess Mrs. Anderson really did have a special recipe.

"So Laura... Kai mentioned you have a son!" My mom made conversation, and my ears perked right up.

"Oh yes!" She smiled. "His name is Michael. He's a good boy."

Lani was right, he was probably 12.

"Is he in high school?" My mom raised a brow.

"Well no actually! He graduated last year."

Oh, chicken buffalo wings.

"He's my age?" I piped in.

"Yes," Laura simply nodded.

"Oh," I tried to seem disinterested.

"What's he like?" My clever mom asked for me.

"Well he's kind of shy. I'm not sure how he really feels about moving here but yeah! He's very sporty! What's to learn to surf. Do you surf Kai?" She asked me.

I chuckled. "Yes you could say that."