Chapter 17- Reunited... almost (Kai)

Reunited

Kai🌺

I'm watching tv when my phone rings. It's Aaron? What could he possibly want?

I answered my phone a little annoyed, "hello."

"Hey uhh... don't panic or do panic I don't know, but I'm at the hospital right now."

"What!? Why?" I was shocked why he was at the hospital and wondering why he was calling me!

"I'm not hurt but Kalani- Kalani is."

My brain stopped, I think my heart did too. "What happened?"

"She was watching a surfer when she got caught in his wave. She couldn't get out and she hit her head really hard on her board." He mumbled but I can still understand him clearly.

"I'm on my way, heading out the door now. I have to hang up so I can go tell my mom and Lilia what happened."

I hung up right away and ran out to the living room where mom was. We were both getting ready to go shopping when Aaron called me.

"Mom. Kalani- surfing. Under water... she hit her head on her board. She is in the hospital I have to go and tell Lilia." I wanted to break down in tears so bad but I didn't have time for that.

"Wha- what?" My mother says in a hushed tone."You go to the hospital I will tell Lilia and bring her with me, I know you want to go right now, so go!"

That's all I needed to run out the door and get in my car. I drove really fast to the hospital... it was all a blur, but I'n pretty sure I ran red lights as I got there in five minutes instead of fifteen. While driving I kept thinking of the worst. What if she can never surf again? What if she has permanent brain damage?

I quickly pulled into a parking space and ran into the hospital up to the desk. "I'm here for Kalani Kekoa." The lady slowly looked her up on the computer and said, "3rd floor, you will have to wait in the waiting room. She is taking a CT scan right now." I barely heard that last part because I was already running to the elevator and hitting the button to go up.

It felt like 20 minutes later that it finally showed up and I get on and hit the 3rd floor button. It goes up slowly like all elevators do. While I'm waiting all I can think about is Lani. I didn't know what I would do if she wasn't okay. The doors open and I walked down a small hall and reached the waiting room.

Aaron was there pacing back and forth running his hands through his hair repetitively. I ran up to him and hugged him for some reason. I think it's because I was about to fall apart. I started crying and let me say... I was a real hot mess.

"Hey, it's going to be okay Kai." He coos, trying to comfort me. He was practically holding me up, because my legs give way and I couldn't hold myself up anymore.

After a couple minutes I started to calm down and my tears started to subside.

"How is she? What happened? Why were you with her?" I had so many questions to ask, I just wanted to know how my best friend was.

"She's a little banged up... she's in an CT now getting her head examined. I saw her surfing alone for some reason and I went to check on her because she got stuck in a wave- she was fine though she got out okay. We were just sitting on our boards because there was a lull... you know when there are no waves. Then out of no where a wave came and you know the rest. I pulled her out, just barely. It was one of the scariest things I've ever seen."

I sat down in one of the waiting chairs, and Aaron did the same. I heard someone come rushing over to me, it's Lilia and my mom. Lilia is crying of course and my mom looks close to it.

I get up and hug Lilia. "She is going to be okay. Nothing too serious, just a little banged up alright?"

"I... I told her to take you with her. That may not have changed anything but at least you would have been there and maybe the circumstances would have been different."

"Aaron was there with her he got her to safety." I let go of her and gestured to him.

"Thank you." She hugged Aaron tightly.

He patted her back. "No worries. It was just... a fluke. A crazy accident."

Lilia let him go and sat down with my mom, Aaron and I followed suit. We waited, and waited until a nurse finally came out. "She's all done testing with no complications. The CT scan looked clean and we found no bleeding. From what we can tell she has a severe concussion. She arrived unconscious but is finally responding, she's very in and out of it and probably will be for a few days."

She turned and we followed her so she could take us to Lani. Thank goodness the accident wasn't as bad as it could have been. She could be dead. We walked into room-309 where she was staying. We came in and I saw her with her head all bandaged up and she looked so pale, she even had dark circles under her eyes.

"Why don't you kids stay here for awhile I'm going to take Lilia to the cafeteria," my mom stated and put a hand on Lilia's back, before taking her out of the room. I could tell seeing Kalani like this really affected her. Lani didn't look much like herself with no color in her face, and no beautiful smile. It saddened me.

I grabbed Kalani's good hand and held it. I put my head down on her bed and started crying again. I felt Aaron grab my other hand to comfort me. It didn't help much but it was the thought that counts.

I lifted my head up and looked at him with tears in my eyes, "thank you." He nodded his head back to me and I looked at Kalani again.

"I'm here Lani, I'm here." I said to her, still holding her hand.

All of a sudden the machine that was monitoring Lani went off. It was beeping like there was a fire or something. A few nurses and a doctor ran in and shooed Aaron and I to the side.

"What is happening?" I shouted.

"Get them out of here!" The doctor yelled.

"No, tell me what's wrong with her!" I cried, Aaron began to pull me back.

Kalani started to convulse.

"Get them out!" The doctor yelled once more.

"Lani! Stop, what are you doing?" I cried even harder. "Don't do that!"

"We have to go," Aaron tugged at my arm.

"No! I'm staying with her. She needs me!" I argued, breaking free and running up to her bed.

"I will call security if you don't leave. You need to get out of this room!" The angry doctor man yelled once again.

"Kai let's go!" Aaron yelled this time. So I obeyed. I started to walk out.

"Yes!" I turned right back around when I heard a nurse shout.

"She's stable again." The other one sighed.

"Dammit Lani," I muttered while wiping my face with my hands. "Dammit."