22

I listened to Sweet Creature while reading this and it def set the mood.

* * * * * * * *

It had been nearly two weeks since Harry and I had called it quits on the benefits part of our friendship. Not that I'm a hundred percent sure I could even call what we have a friendship at this point. I'd been avoiding him like the plague, only speaking to him in class when it was absolutely necessary or making small talk the last two times we had to meet up for our project. I was distancing myself as much as I could emotionally and it was becoming increasingly obvious that Harry was catching on. He'd try too hard to get me to talk to him and my unwillingness was starting to show. I almost felt bad, especially when he'd frown and stare at me in a way that would make me think just maybe, he was sad.

Pushing away those little sliver of hopes I'd get, I continued to keep him at a distance. I won't lie, I actually missed him even if it meant just talking to him but I knew this was what I had to do in order to get over him. So instead of wallowing in my tears I managed to submerge myself in school work and finding a job. Which I finally did find at a cute Mexican restaurant just a few streets away from the apartment. They needed someone right away and I happened to walk in right on time so they hired me on the spot. At the time, I'd been overly excited but now that it was my first day, I was nervous. They informed me I'd be filling the position of a waitress and I broke out into a cold sweat because fuck, I had no experience in being a server. Would I have to carry those trays with all those plates stacked on it? Dear god I hoped not. Knowing my clumsy ass, I'd end up tripping and breaking everything.

Chewing on my lip, I fiddled with the black button up I was required to wear and ran my hands over my Dixies pants. My hair was tied up in a high pony tale and I smoothed it out before sighing and picking up the notepad the manager left on the table for me after showing me the ropes of how things got done. Granted, I might of zoned out a little through his explanation but I hoped I'd gotten enough information. I'd figure out the rest as I went.

"You've got the back section," Roberta, one of the head waitresses said as she passed me. She seemed nice and had been kind to me since I'd arrived. "You look nervous."

"I am."

"Ever been a server before?"

"No," I sighed and grabbed the small notebook, tucking into the red apron tied around my waist. "I didn't know what the position was until after I was hired."

She snorted and nodded. "That's Burt for you. You'll learn quickly he's kind of a mess and his head is all over the place. I bet he didn't even mention the other day that you're supposed to have the menu memorized, am I right?"

"No." I said fearfully with my eyes wide and she laughed, patting my shoulder before she moved around me to grab some chips.

"It's alright hon, just start studying it after today. How much did Burt tell you?"

"He just said to smile, be friendly, ask about their drink orders and then after that ask what they'd like to eat. Also to continuously check on the tables to make sure they don't need anything."

"Good, and also leave chips on their table the moment they sit down." She handed me one of the chip baskets she filled and pointed to the counter. "The salsa is right there, drinks are in the kitchen and just put the order into the computer then send it to the kitchen."

"....Okay." I mumbled and Roberta grinned slowly when I pressed my lips together.

"If you need help, feel free to come find me."

"Oh thank you." I said in relief and she laughed, filling a small little blue bowl of salsa before handing that to me too. I placed them on a small tray carefully and Roberta jerked her head to a table we could see from where we stood.