36

My fork scrapes the plate, pushing the peas from the stuffing around in circles. I kept my eyes downcast as I listened to the chatter from my family and relatives at the dinner table. Ellie was giggling beside me, playing with her mashed potatoes by slapping her spoon over it. I bit back a smile several times when she flicked some in Karley's direction, getting it on her black top and causing Karley to groan in annoyance. For pretense, I made of show of asking Ellie to stop playing with her food but she gave me a toothy grin each time. The girl subconsciously knew Karley had done me dirty and was getting payback, I'm telling you.

I refrained from laughing when Karley gasped again and snuck a glance in her direction to see her scowling at my niece. Her eyes narrowed when they slid to me and she wiped off the pieces of food that had landed on her for the tenth time. "Renee, do you think you could ask Ellie to stop playing with her mashed potatoes?" Her tone dripped of sweetness but I recognized the irritation in her eyes. Apparently, Renee noticed it too.

"Oh," Renee blinked innocently and glanced at Ellie's plate, her mouth twitching in the corner. "I didn't even notice, so sorry." She grabbed a napkin and took the spoon from Ellie, wiping her hands off and the mess she was making.

"Maybe you should pay more attention to your kid then." Karley mumbled, but it was loud enough for me and Renee to hear. She stiffened in her seat and her eyes flew to mine. She didn't have to say anything, I could see the threat in her eyes. I'll kill her.

"Maybe, you should not tell my sister-in-law how to parent her child." I grit out with a smile, stabbing a piece of turkey before plopping it in my mouth.

Karley had the nerve to blink at me, her mouth hanging open and her hand over her chest. "I was just saying-,"

"No one asked your opinion, so maybe don't say anything unless asked."

"Avriella."

I rip my gaze from Karley, my back stiffening when I see my mom sending daggers at me from the other end of the table. I shrink a little in my chair, pressing my lips together in a hard line as my eyes dart from her to my relatives who have grown quiet.

I breathe in and out through my nose and turn my attention back to my plate, but it's my uncle Gary who clears his throat. "Av, how is school going?"

I'm thankful for him trying to change the mood, but I don't like that the attention is now on me. I feel as if a spotlight is shining down on me and shift uncomfortably under my family and relative's gaze. "It's going good. I really like it there."

"What classes are you taking?"

"English, Art and a few other general ed classes." I shrug, taking a sip of my iced tea.

"Are you still living with your friend Zendaya?" My aunt asks and when I nod she grins. "That's great! Have you made any new friends?"

"Well, my other two roommates Jess and Sam. And then these two guys from my English class- Niall and Louis. They're pretty awesome."

"Don't forget your boyfriend."

I freeze and meet Karley's eyes with a hard glare. She's looking at me with fake innocence, but I see the curve of her lips. Bitch. So she wants to throw me under the bus? Game on.

"Boyfriend?" The question comes from my dad, who sounds surprised but also concerned. I meet his gaze, sipping from my drink again as an excuse not to answer right away. I could deny It and say Harry isn't my boyfriend, but it's what he introduced himself as to Karley and Zack when we saw them at the skating rink. If I told the truth, I'm sure they'd know we had lied.