01

A v r i e l l a

The paintbrush in my hand moves swiftly across the white wall, the sky blue paint covering it with each stroke I make. My nostrils flare from the overpowering scent of the paint, my head slightly throbbing from the strong combination of aerosol and chlorine. With my arms sore and aching I take a tentative step higher on the ladder I was currently standing on, my arm stretching to reach the top of the wall that was just below the ceiling. My 5 foot 3 height wasn't enough, and with my tongue sticking out in concentration and my weight falling on the tip of my toes, I reached as far as I could with the paint brush barely brushing my destination.

"You're still going at it?"

I jumped at the voice behind me, my foot slipping from the step and the paintbrush falling from my fingers as my hands shot down to grip the top of the ladder. I steadied myself, clutching the ladder for dear life as I blindly kicked my dangling foot around for the closest step. My chest heaved in relief once I found it and I whipped my head around to glare at the dark haired girl with an amused grin at my almost death.

"Don't you know to never sneak up on someone while they're standing on a latter?" I practically yell and Zendaya laughs, tossing her head back and clapping once.

"Never heard of it but I'll be sure to remember it for next time."

I roll my eyes and slowly begin to descend down the latter, frowning when I see the paintbrush lying on the floor and leaving a big splatter of blue paint on the brown hardwood. I turn when my foot meets the ground, looking around the almost completely painted blue walls of my room. I still had one more wall to do, but I also planned on doing a moon and starry night theme to the wall that I was going to have my bed against.

I sigh in exasperation, picking up the paintbrush and shoving strands of my blonde hair out of my face. My glasses slip down my nose and I shove them back on the ridge in annoyance. "I didn't even know you were home."

"Just got here," She walks further into the room, glancing around at the small table I dragged in here with opened buckets of paint. "I was hanging out with Jess and Sam. They want to go to the college bar down the street tonight. You should come with us."

"I've got to finish painting." I say without hesitation. Bars were never my thing and she knew this. I rather paint.

"You've been at this for days." She sighs and I turn my back to her when I hear the lecture that's soon to come just by the tone of her voice. "Seriously, you moved in a week ago and you haven't even gone out to meet people. School starts on Monday and it's a Friday night, just take a break for once and come out with us."

"I don't like bars." I say and glance over my shoulder at her before turning back to stare at the half painted blue wall. "Besides, I'm only eighteen. I'm not old enough to go in."

"The bar is eighteen and over and the bartenders are students from our school," She says, walking around until she's standing right beside me. "And for that reason they don't really check ID's. Plus, I'm friends with a few of them, I could get us free booze with no problem."

"I don't drink." I say quickly to try and come up with an excuse not to go and Zendaya groans.

"You're a filthy liar. I was there during the end of your senior year, you got wasted." She points at me accusingly and I roll my eyes.

"Yeah, that was one time. And did you forget how sick I got? I swore to never drink again after that. Not to mention that was because of...well you know who." I mumble, not particularly wanting to talk about the trash I called my ex.

"Which is exactly why you should come out with us!" She shouts in excitement and grins widely at me. "It's been three months since you two broke up, you're starting your first year of college and need to put yourself out there again."