Chapter 10: Annabeth

Dear Praetor Reyna Of House Ramìrez-Arelleano,

We have your colleague, Praetor Octavian Of House Augur. At the moment, he is unharmed. I promise that he shall be fed and watered in the time he is with us.

I shall contact you for a ransom later.

I placed my quill back in its holder.

"You done?" Luke asked.

"Yes," I replied. "Send this to Praetor Reyna."

He nodded, and took the letter from my hands. He then left my office.

I stood up and stared out of my window. The sea was calm, and black from the absence of moonlight.

I yawned. It was late, and most of my crew was asleep by now. I was tired.

I walked over to my bed. Today had been exhausting. After telling Percy about his new job, we had robbed a trading ship, before I dealt with all of the ransom notes, including Octavian's, which I had forgotten about.

I climbed into bed, and, unsurprisingly, fell asleep quickly.

*⚔️*

The house was unusually quiet.

"Dad?" I called out. "Hello?"

There was no answer. My eyebrows creased. Why wasn't my dad answering me?

"Dad!" I called out, slowly opening the door to his room. Then I shrieked.

"DAD!" I ran to my fathers said. He was laying on the ground, in a pool of blood. I could instantly tell that he'd been stabbed.

"HELP!" I called out. "PLEASE! SOMEONE! HELP!"

But I knew there was no point. My dad was dead.

And I knew who had murdered him, too. His business rival, Kronos, must've decided that taking him out would increase his sales. At least, that was the most logical explanation. Merchants killing other merchants wasn't uncommon.

Tears were running down my face. I could hear people coming towards my house, probably because they heard my screams. But I didn't care anymore.

Who knew that sneaking out to see your fellow bastard best friend, Piper, would end so badly?

*⚔️*

I woke up with a gasp.

I hadn't thought about my father in a long time. Revisiting the memories of my seven-year-old self were too painful.

I took some deep breaths, trying to calm my heartbeat. That's in the past, Annabeth. Keep it that way. That you is gone.

Opening my eyes, I shook the memory from my head. It was time for me to run my ship.

Sorry for short chapter, but I didn't want to fill it up with crap. But hey, at least you got a peek into Annabeth's backstory, (which is long, interesting, and a little heartbreaking), right?

Anyways, I've decided to update every Sunday. I realized I only told two of you that.

Thanks for reading!

-iheartshipper