Chapter 16: Annabeth

I awoke to the sounds of rain.

I sighed. My crew hated it when it rained. It always distracted them, making them not work as efficiently as they could.

And that was why I hated rain.

I started doing my daily things; eat breakfast, check on all of my crew members, the usual. Around midday, Luke came to my office.

"A note from Praetor Reyna," He informed me.

I took it from his wet hand and started to read it.

Dear Annabeth,

This is Praetor Reyna of the SPQR legion. I am willing to discuss the ransom price. Send your reply back on the messenger eagle I sent you

-Praetor Reyna of House Ramìrez-Arellano

I wrote down a reply.

Dear Praetor Reyna,

I am asking for 10,000 drachmas for his safe return. This price is non-negotiable. Send me the money by eagle.

-Annabeth

"Send this to her," I said, handing it to him.

"Got it," He replied. "But first, there's something I've been meaning to tell you for a long time."

I looked up at him, gesturing for him to continue.

He took a deep breath. "I love you, Annabeth."

There were a couple moments of silence as I just sat there, stunned.

"What?" I asked.

"I love you," He repeated. "I have for a long time."

I couldn't believe it. Luke was like a brother to me. I thought that he thought of me as a sister. Apparently, I was wrong.

"Well?" He asked.

"I'm sorry, Luke, I don't think of you like that," I replied. I could feel tears starting to form in my eyes. "Please leave."

He did. I could see a tear running down his cheek before he shut the door behind him.

That was when I started crying.

I felt betrayed. I had known Luke for so long, and I had thought we had bonded like siblings. But now? Now I knew I was wrong.

Our relationship would be entirely different now. Now that I knew how he felt about me. That was probably what was so heartbreaking for me.

I felt like I had lost a brother.