Chapter 24: Annabeth

"We are gathered here today to remember Luke, a valiant member of our crew, and a courageous man," Thalia said. "While his last moments tarnish his memory, Luke was a good man, who made a horrible mistake. He will be sorrowly missed."

And with those words, Piper and Jason pushed Luke's corpse overboard.

It had been three days since his death, and I had decided to give him a proper funeral. Like Thalia said, he was a good man, who made a horrible mistake.

Hazel wasn't talking to me, and I didn't blame her. If she had ripped Percy out of my arms, I would probably never talk to her again, so it made sense why she wouldn't do it for me.

"Moonblood starts tonight," Piper informed me.

Ah, yes, moonblood. Now, I would not only have the emotional pain of losing Percy, but also the physical pain of cramps.

"Great," I said, taking a sip of whiskey.

That night, my moonblood didn't come.

*Two weeks later*

I was writing a ransom note when I heard a knock on my door. "Come in."

Hazel walked in, and sat in the chair across from my desk. She only had one word for me.

"Why?" She asked.

"Because I needed to," I replied. "We couldn't keep them without incurring the wrath of King Gabe."

"But why didn't you just give up Percy, then?" She asked. "Why did you have to give up Frank, too?"

"Because House Zhang and House Jackson are close allies," I replied. "If I kept Frank, they'd still come after us. I'm sorry, Hazel."

I barely had enough time to finish my sentence before Hazel was out the door.

Great, I thought as a tear ran down my cheek. Having Hazel being mad at me was exactly what I need right now.

Worst of all, it was making me doubt my decision. Was ransoming Percy really the right decision?

Ah so short. All my chapters are so short.

Anyway, next chapter is the change of pace you've all been waiting for.

Thanks for reading!

-iheartshipper