Chapter 4

"What's a mate?" I ask again when Cora doesn't answer.

"You were never told what a mate is?" She whisper. I shake my head.

"If I was, I don't remember. Why, is a mate important?" She nods her head violently.

"A mate is your true love, Aunna. Like.. your prince!" She smiles.

"And you think that the Alpha is mate because I could smell chicken?" I raise a suspicious brow. She nods her head again.

"Before I was taken from my pack-"

"You belonged to a pack?" I interrupt. She nods her head and I furrow my brows. "I just told Beta that neither of us belonged to a pack."

"I barely belonged to it." She whispers. "I was taken, remember?"

"Yeah. How could I forget." I mutter to myself as I rub my knees.

"Before I was taken, mama would always tell me stories. Wolf stories." She adds and my eyes widen slightly. "And she would tell me the story of how she and papa met. They were mates. The day they met, she said she smelled chocolate. Dark chocolate. And papa said that he smelled roses with a hint of mint." She smiles at the memory.

"But.."

"That is when they met. When you smell something that is one of your favorite scents that means you've found your mate. That or someone is cooking." She nods her head.

Our conversation is cut off when the large door opens and the familiar scent fills the dungeon. I quickly sit up and scoot further into the corner, as does Cora. Alpha Aiden walks into the cell, eyeing me carefully.

When the gate opens and he enters, I notice Beta following him. Alpha Aiden crouches in front of me, causing me to scoot further away. The smell of chicken is now radiating off of him, and it smells so good!

His eyes turn into slits as he looks me up and down, and they become a darker shade. "Stand up." He demands in a harsh tone. I inhale deeply before standing up against the wall. The sun is still up and shining into the cell. He stands back up and continues to look me up and down.

My eyes flicker over to Cora and back to him. He furrows his brows then turns around to see Cora curled up in the corner. He then turns to Beta, who is smiling sheepishly next to the gate.

"You never said there was another."

"Yeah.." Beta mumbles while scratching the back of his neck. "About that..."

Alpha Aiden snaps his head back towards me. His eyes dart down to my hand, then back to my eyes. "Unchain them. Now." Alpha Aiden gives me one last glare before leaving the cell and dungeon.

Beta looks over at me and I notice the relief all over his face. "You did not tell him that you took Cora as well?" I say as he walks over to me and grabs my hands.

"No. I didn't."

"Why not?" I furrow my brows.

"Alpha Aiden has strict rules." He speaks as he keeps his eyes on my wrists, specifically the chains. "No rogues-"

"We are not rogues." I say as I look over at Cora.

"We don't have a word for you." He states. "But we will."

"What are the rest of the rules?" I look down when I no longer feel the stinging sensation on my wrists.

He turns around and walks over to Cora, which I follow quickly behind. "Alpha Aiden doesn't like having prisoners." He states.