Chapter 2

I am awoken from my slumber when I feel someone next to me drape their arm over my chest. I blink my eyes a few times before inhaling Cora's scent. I look up at her face to see her eyes pried shut. She's laying on my shoulder as her arm drapes over my chest and her leg tied up with mine.

I could tell she was tired but the red puffiness of her eyes. She had spent three days in transformation, which was way shorter than what I had to go through. I pull her closer to my chest, trying not to wake her.

It has been an entire year since they placed Cora in the cell with me and haven't even bothered telling us why she was here.

I run my fingers through her hair and she begins to stir. I mentally curse myself for waking her up. She looks up at me before blinking a few times. "Aunna?" She whispers.

I nod my head and pull her closer to my chest. "I'm here." I whisper back.

"Everything hurts." She sniffles. I rub circles on the small of her back with my thumb. She seems to relax a little more.

"I know." I kiss the top of her head. "But it's all over now."

"It is?" She looks up at me.

"Yeah. You went hours without pain. It's over now." I rub her cheek and she smiles. "But you know you got lucky." I tell her and she giggles.

"How?"

"Because you only had three days of it." I whisper. "I had nine days of it."

My words must of shocked her since her eyes widen to the size of her fists. "Really!? That long!?"

"Yeah."

"Are they ever going to let us out?" She asks after a few moments of silence. "I want to go to the forest and run like the wind." She puts her hand in the air and waves it around.

"I don't know, Cora." I tell her honestly.

What I said must not have affected her because her mood stayed light. "I bet my wolf is pink and purple." She muses which causes me to smile. "With zebra print."

I chuckle softly as she jumps off of the cot, walks towards the other side of the room with her back against the wall, avoiding sunlight at all costs. She digs into the hay and pulls out the doll I had made out of straw sixteen years ago. It was mostly mangled, but Cora said it is still in good shape.

She walks back over to me, avoiding the sunlight, and jumps on the bed. She holds the doll in front of me, "Today she's a fairy." She informs me and I nod.

She then gets back off the cot and sits next to the wall and begins to play by herself. I roll over on my side and watch her quietly.

Before I knew it, my eye lids were getting heavier and it was harder to focus on Cora. I tried to stay awake but I could never fight sleep, because it always won.

......

"Aunna." I hear my voice being called. "Aunna! Wake up!" I pry my eyes open and lean up. I rub my eyes with the back of my hands as I look around the cell. Cora is standing next to me with worry written in her eyes.

"What, Cora?" I groan as I stretch my arms into the air. She climbs over me and lays next to me on the cot. "Cora?" I raise a confused brow as she closes her eyes.

I turn towards the gate when I hear it being opened. The two guards walk in and stop before the cot. "Get up." One demanded. I raised another confused brow. I look back down at Cora after I stand up and realize she is faking sleep.

I pick her up and she wraps her arms around my neck and her legs around my waist. "What's going on?" I ask in a soft voice. My eyes roam the cell and I notice the sunlight shining on the ground.