Part 11: Home Is Where the Mate Is

I looked around. They all heard that! Vida looked happy but was also pleading with me silently. I took another deep breath. "Ian--"

"I will not go." He looked slightly amused.

"Inside-NOW!"

He rose slowly, and I watched him. We were inches apart, and that made my knees fight to keep me up. I turned on my heel and led him toward the door. "Watch them." I said to the guards.

Vida stepped forward, and the line posed for attack.

"Not Vida!" I couldn't believe this. "She is a child of Terra Prima!"

"What of her mate?" one of the guards asked.

I rolled my eyes to the heavens and looked at Ian, who was trying not to smile outright. "Escort everyone to the living room for now, please? Let Hannah know we have visitors...visitors, you understand?" I grabbed Ian by the hand and took him into my dining area.

He looked around. "Nice."

"What are you playing at?" I asked angrily, taking a position on the opposite end of the table

"I am a male. I found my mate. According to your mate program, I have a choice in whether I stay with my pack or go."

"We have responsibilities, Ian!" I leaned forward on the table. "We are way different than the average wolf and mate!" I watched a slow smile form on his lips. I just acknowledged the bond of my own will, with no one around. I shook my head, but he saw the victory and took it as such.

"But we are mates, Amber." His voice had taken on that intimate timbre that did things to my insides, stroked my skin without him having to touch me at all.

"And your father?" I challenged.

"I apologize, and I have checked him."

"You what?!"

"Ask Vida," he said softly. "I wish you hadn't run away like you did. You didn't give me a chance to handle things."

My mouth clamped shut. So much for saying he didn't support me. I sighed, "Look, Ian, I am tired--"

"I agree," he nodded. "We could pick this up in the morning--"

"Pick up what?"

"The unification of the Wisdom Pack and the Mountain Makyas Pack."

He said that so simply, so matter-of-fact, I froze, not sure I heard him right. "You are kidding, aren't you?!"

"My father is High Counselor, yes, but I am leader of the Wisdom Pack," he shrugged. "Since we are both alphas, it only makes sense that we combine our packs. We can learn a great deal from each other, and definitely be better than we were alone."

"Why can't you just go away, Ian!" I spat. "We don't need you!"

"I think you do, Amber." Ian countered calmly, slowly circling the large table to get closer to me. "At least speak with your pack. I think some of them would welcome the change--"