Part 45: Shift

I stood on the balcony of the main house looking over the property watching the daily goings on in the distance. I could hear the children playing, workmen working, women, too. I even heard some adult laughter. Some of the military families were moving into the metal dome homes. I smiled at that.

Yet,  I felt vulnerable.

Why?

I have spent over a decade on my own. I led and helped build this place, this Terra Prima. Usually this sight lifted my spirits, and now...

As I reached for and ran my fingers over my mate's mark, I knew how much my world had changed because of one person. I closed my eyes, and was surprised as the feeling of longing for him. I missed him. I felt like I couldn't breathe right until he was here...

"You okay?"

I turned to see Zuri. "I'm alright."

She put a hand over mine. "You miss him."

I was going to completely deny it, but Zuri's look changed my mind. Her mate was away, too. "Yes, I really do."

She smiled sadly, and held my hand. "They are strong, you know."

"Smart, too."

"I am sure they can handle anything that happens out there."

"Yes, I'm sure they can--" I heard Zuri gasp and looked at her.

"Oh, no," she whispered, her eyes wide and looking off to the distance. "Something is happening."

I sharpened my wolf vision and hearing which enabled me to see groups of men leave Makya castle. Then some broke off, and from the looks of it, were coming to Terra Prima. I could make out Jiro and my father instantly, leading the way. Since Dar was away, did they actually think they had a chance to take Zuri? I think not! "Zuri, I want you to go to your room--"

"No."

I heard the door open behind me and I turned to see Cole and Zach. "Stay. We will meet them at the border."

"Cole--"

"Look at them, don't you smell it?" Cole asked.

"They-they don't mean well."

The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end in response to Zuri's whispered declaration. I did smell the aggression in the air, I just hoped he had not. What could they want?

I stepped past him into the hall. "I am alpha here, Cole, I am coming with you." I watched him take a deep breath and turn on his heel. "Zuri--"

"I told you I am coming." Zuri was determined, following me.

"Oh, I'm coming!"  MAttie's voice rang in the hall. She trotted up to us. "Saw it from my window."

As we headed down the steps, we saw Vida waiting at the bottom.

"Let's rock." She turned and went right in step, not allowing time to argue or stop.

We took an SUV to get to the border.

I felt a surge of pride to see that the sentries were already calling my cell. "Tell them we are coming to meet them."

"You told them not to admit Theron?"

"I told them not to admit Jiro," I said. "It's a longstanding order. My father cannot be refused, but he won't come in without Jiro if he is with him."

We finally arrived at the checkpoint. My father looked calm, but Jiro was irritated. We got out of the SUV and completed the welcoming party.

"Hello, Father." I said tonelessly.

"You still have orders against Jiro?" my father asked.

"I don't give orders to kill him." I said with a small smile. "What is the--"

"Jiro has informed me that you have something that will help him lead."

I laughed incredulously. "What?"

"A stone your mother gave you?"

That changed everything.