Part 1: Fast Forward

AMBER POV

I was so tired of this.

I looked over at my beta, Mattie, who basically was tying her red hair back, a sign that she was getting ready to fight. She began braiding her hair. She smoothed her button down shirt that was tucked into her jeans, and straightened her jacket. "I don't think the hearing will come to that," I sighed. "It never does."

"Never hurts to be ready," Mattie said. "You had more counsel hearing than anyone who has a territory."

"I know," I exhaled, chuckling humorlessly. "I'm also the only female with her own territory, even if it is still under my father."

"Ten years since your father gave it to you--"

"To get me out of his hair!" I corrected, a growl in my voice. "After Jaeger died." Even at thirty-five, that still hurt so deeply, and the anger always propelled me forward in these situations. "Trying to groom that brat Jiro to be Alpha."

"We'll find a way to set things right." Mattie asssured, giving my hand a squeeze.

I took a cleansing breath. "We will, but now we have to deal with this." I rose from my seat. "And this will be no different than the others, beta. Thanks for always having my back."

"Besties forever?" She straightened the lapels of my duster.

We'd been running together since we were pups. "Forever besties."

Suddenly, one of the counsel guards came to them. "We're ready."

I nodded, putting my best face for business on. I turned on my heel and headed inside the hearing room, taking extra comfort in hearing Mattie's footsteps behind me.

The hearing room hadn't changed. Counselor Aaron was presiding, of course. I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

"I have called you here on behalf of Alpha Wyatt of the Meadowlands. He says you are witholding mates from some of the men of his tribe."

"I have no knowledge of this," I said tonelessly. "But I do know that a week ago, Wyatt and a small party trespassed on my land."

"So you were not informed of their arrival?"

"No." My answer came in a growl. I clenched my fists, trying to rein in my temper. "He came with his group and attacked my sentries. We overpowered him before he could infiltrate the dorms."

"Dorms?"

"We have built dorms to accomodate the women."

"Are there so many?"

"Seems to be," I shrugged. "Imagine a couple who share an affection for a time. Then, the wolf inside changes everything. He chooses a different mate, and this woman is heartbroken. She runs away...to my territory."

"She simply hasn't found her mate." High Counselor argued.

"True," I nodded. "and as wolves sought their mates, I have not stood in their way. I have even offered them a home with me." I smiled. Some did decide to stay with me. I had acquired some very valuable people and information this way. I was able to offer people in lower positions within their own pack higher positions within mine because of their former pack knowledge and expertise.

"That is something we frown upon."

"It's not illegal," I just raised an eyebrow. It wasn't against the law, so I really didn't give a shit. "Anyway, I thought it was protocol to be informed of visits, especially regarding those about mates."

The High Counselor paused, his mouth forming in a grim line. I knew I was right. "It is."

"I knew."